This is a short clip of police video that shows Sandra Bland's arrest in Texas on July 10, three days before she died in a county jail. Kelley got to the scene too late to see exactly what happened between Encinia and Bland during the key moments off a dash-cam video where the two are out of frame and Bland says hes knocked her head against the pavement. I spoke with Trooper Encinia and explained in great detail the importance of following the seven step violator contact. More: George Floyd. A lawyer for the Bland family says he believes Encinia falsely claimed he was in fear of his personal safety to deflect responsibility for his actions. Conflicting accountsfrom law enforcement officialsalso created a vacuum for alternativeexplanationsto blossom. 2023 ESSENCE Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved. Trayvon Martin. Bland was pulled over on June 10, 2015, during a road trip to Texas from Illinois, where she lived. The defense team for Brian Encinia, the then-DPS trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, may ask for the trial to be moved outside Waller County. Encinia, who also has been indicted on a criminal charge of perjury, stopped Bland for what police said was failure to signal a lane change and arrested her after a confrontation that began when he ordered her to put out her cigarette. Sandra Bland's name appeared with others on t-shirts and signs at Black Lives Matter protests. As of recent reports, he is currently 34 years of age. When Chicago cops killed Laquan McDonald in late 2014, the official story was that the knife-wielding teenager had lunged at officers who fired in self-defense. Uncredited/AP. That was the only criminal charge he faced. "But I pray for them and I just pray for better days for America because America is messed up right now.". I will light you up!. He said that because of this, "Force was used to subdue Bland to the ground, to which Bland continued to fight back.". The confrontation ended with Encinia forcibly arresting Bland. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Police say Sandra Bland killed herself in jail. The state Public Safety department moved to fire Encinia after his perjury indictment in January accused him of lying about the confrontation. Trooper Encinia did not follow the seven step violator contact by not telling the violator what action that he was going to take. A . Yes, her blood is in their hands.Police & prosecutors hid her cellphone video of her arrest for 4 years. Her death was ruled a suicide. Blands mother Geneva Reed-Veal has become an outspoken advocate for police reform. Sandra Bland/Place of birth. But when investigators asked why he didnt order Bland out of the car at that point or ask what she was doing, Encinia said he had no answer. I'm angry," Sandra Bland's sister, Shante Needham, told the I-Team. The video sparked renewed conversation about police misconduct against black Americans. USA TODAY reached out to several Facebook users who shared the postsfor comment. Brian Encinia. The new video from Sandra Bland's vantage point shows former Texas State Trooper Brian Encinia pulling a taser on her as she sat in the . Heres How You Can Make A Difference In Honour Of Brianna Ghey, Morgan Doughty Filed A Lawsuit Against The Murdaugh Family, The Woman Nikole Hannah-Jones Credits With Her Career Success, Heres How To Watch The Alex Murdaugh Trial Live, Get Even More From Bustle Sign Up For The Newsletter. 20102021 ButHershorn saidbased on the low-resolutionFacebook post it's impossible to tell forcertain whether the image was manipulated. I unequivocally state that he never approached me, my first assistant, or any member of my staff with any such information, Mathis wrote to the Houston Chronicle. Kelleys claims that he tried to expose misconduct in Blands case stand out as unusual. Here's why that's hard to believe. ON NOW. In June 2017, Encinia agreed to a plea deal that dropped his charge; in exchange, he had to agree not to appeal his firing, surrender his police license and never reapply. And even though we are seeing it live on the worldwide web, officers are not being held accountable.". Five Democratic 2020 candidates said video of the 2015 arrest days before the woman was found dead in a cell warrants a new look at the case. After Bland asks why Encinia would threaten to drag me out of my own car, he pulls out his Taser. Encinia was eventually charged, but only with perjury a decision that sparked further outrage. Now." After Bland asks why Encinia would "threaten to drag me out of my own car," he pulls out his Taser. Needham said that it's a start, but deaths of Blacks caused by police continue. Bland is heard on the video crying and in distress as she repeatedly tells officers that they were hurting her and that she couldn't hear after being slammed into the ground. Former state Trooper Brian Encinia, who pulled Bland over on July 10, 2015, in Prairie View, Texas, for failing to use a turn signal, no longer faces a perjury charge for making a false statement . His attorney did not return our call. Kellie Chauvinm. HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) A judge dismissed a misdemeanor perjury charge against a fired Texas state trooper Wednesday in a case arising from his 2015 arrest of Sandra Bland, a black woman who was later found dead in a county jail. She studied print journalism at the University of Houston and French at the University of Paris-Sorbonne in France. AUSTIN (KXAN) Its dashcam footage that many will never forget and that sparked criticism around the country questioning police use of force. Encinia's future seems up in the air, and as developments in the case proceed over the next few years, it's possible that he could still face criminal charges. Bland, a 28-year-old Black woman, was arrested in July 2015 for allegedly assaulting Texas state trooper Brian Encinia during a traffic stop. How many more bodies do we have to see? He arrested her for assault on a public servant. (Designed by Jos Dennis/Community Impact Newspaper). Tweets and Facebook posts with the claim have been shared tens of thousands of times. Im too furious to add anything else constructive at the moment. After reviewing the in-car video of the incident and speaking with Trooper Encinia, I have the following concerns: I believe that the concerns listed above are training related. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Brian Encinia Audio Interview after Bland Death (81 minutes), Brian Encinia Interview after Indictment (24 minutes). "You have to be the best person that you can be, because you don't know who you are going to encounter on that day," said Needham. the I-Team was unable to find current contact information for Brian Encinia. The situation had already gotten out of hand by the time the violator found out what she was receiving. Black males accounted for 22 percent of all people shot and killed in 2017, yet they are 6 percent of the total population. A Texas grand jury decided not to hand down indictments against anyone connected to the death of Sandra Bland, including her arresting officer, Texas state trooper Brian Encinia. Now, newly released audio recordings show former Texas Department of Safety Trooper Brian Encinia claims he feared for his own personal safety after pulling over Sandra Bland, a 28-year-old black . About now seem to be lining up like the horsemen of the activities that people!, prompting protests altercation between Bland and a former brian encinia now 2020 trooper who responsible! On July 10, 2015, Texas State Trooper Brian Encinia pulls over a 28-year-old Black woman, Sandra Bland, for failing to signal a lane change. Encinia was eventually charged, but only with perjurya decision that sparked further outrage. The second interview was done on Feb. 22, In a newly released DPS use of force report, Click here to read Sandra Bland Death Investigation, Windshield covers and other handy gear you need for, 18 trendy cowboy boots to wear this winter, 18 books youll want to read on Dr. Seuss Day, Texas House unveils economy, workforce priorities. 2010-2021 Derek Chauvin/Wife. It also requires an independent investigation into jail deaths. Bland was detained, and three days later, she was found hanging in her jail cell. Brian Encinia given written counseling while a probationary trooper Texas officials say Encinia violated internal policies during traffic stop The boots of Texas Department of Public Safety. From hair trends to relationship advice, our daily newsletter has everything you need to sound like a person whos on TikTok, even if you arent. Create your free profile or log in to save this video. This decision does not mean that Encinia will not face criminal charges. Academy Award-nominated actor Brian Tyree Henry talks about being nominated for an oscar award. The claim that Bland was dead in her mugshot has proved popular on social media. Page Six reported Friday that the former president "now has a regular gig" as a DJ at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. Sandra Bland was found dead of suicide in a Texas jail cell in July 2015 after being arrested by state trooper Brian Encinia, who claimed she threatened his safety. 2020. DeSantis said board members want to see Disney be "what Walt envisioned." Speakers invited by the governor's office to speak at Monday's news conference railed against Disney's . | And Kelleys testimony that she had a head wound at the scene might have influenced the grand jury process that ultimately only rung Encinia up on perjury charges. Dashcam video from Encinia's car showed him holding a stun gun and threatening, "I will light you up!" Prairie View, TX, police officer Michael Kelley says that a local prosecutor and police officials suppressed facts about Bland's initial arrest while investigating Brian Encinia, the man who actually cuffed and booked Bland. Encinia, who still awaits trial on the perjury indictment, may appeal his firing under department rules. White males accounted for 44 percent of all fatal police shootings, and Hispanic males accounted for 18 percent.. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Waller County District Judge Albert . This video is compelling proof that Trooper Encinia lied, that Sandra Bland posed no threat, and that there was no basis for her arrest. Stories that matter delivered to your inbox. Dont miss reporting and analysis from the Hill and the White House. A prosecutor can still go to trial if he or she believes that the evidence is strong enough to warrant one, and there will still be a grand jury regarding the events surrounding the arrest. Once in handcuffs and placed on the the ground, the violator stated that she has epilepsy. Audio recordings from two separate interviews the DPS Inspector General conducted with Encinia were recently released to KXAN. I do believe however that Trooper Encinias adrenaline level was very high at that time and that he was very emotional after just getting attacked by the violator. Orta was transferred multiple times during his imprisonment. Here are the best, CMT Music Awards ticket presale starts Wednesday. It gives Democrats an opportunity to make this one of their marquee issues. All Rights Reserved. Did they not watch the video? "I'm over it. We do not know exactly where he is right now in 2020. He pled guilty to drug and gun charges in 2016 and received a four-year prison sentence. Students Suffer. As USA TODAY reported in 2015, video from the Waller County jail provedBland was alive while her mugshots were taken. They could have charged him with so many other charges, but they charged him with a perjury. On July 10, 2015,Blandwas booked into the Waller Countyjail after being charged with assaulting Encinia,who had stopped Bland for failing to signal a turn while driving. Orta was released in May 2020 and is under court supervision until January 2022. DPS fired him in 2016. In order for families, and the world, to begin to even trust law enforcement, there has to be accountability," she said. The DA also insinuated Kelley is only trying to distract from his own misdemeanor indictment over using a taser on city councilman Jonathan Miller in 2015. The second interview was done on Feb. 22, 2016, after he was indicted by a Waller County grand jury on a perjury charge. Atlantic City Sergeant Mark Benjamin says he got a death threat after reporting officers for abuse of force. Candidates who take her death seriously show me they take me seriously.. Protesters have made use of Garners last words, I cant breathe, as a slogan and chant against police brutality since Garners death and Pantaleos grand jury decision. By subscribing to this BDG newsletter, you agree to our. Id like to see candidates continue to take the right stances, even if they are difficult, she said. What happened to State Trooper Brian Encinia? Her friends and family vigorously denied she would have taken her life, saying suicide was "unfathomable.". Bystander video shows Bland on the ground after she had been pulled from her car. NAPERVILLE, Ill. (WLS) -- Video images of violent interactions between law enforcement and Black men and women stir painful memories for the family of Sandra Bland. She had a large mark on her head. I think he knows what happened. Texas Department of Public Safety released a statement, visiting criminal law scholar at the University of Houston. Was Brian Encinia scared during Sandra Bland traffic stop? Where is he now? Blands death drew outrage from people concerned with police violence against Black Americans. It continues to happen. A native Texan, Nola serves as reporter for the Katy edition of Community Impact Newspaper. By entering your email and clicking Sign Up, you're agreeing to let us send you customized marketing messages about us and our advertising partners. Encinia had claimed in an affidavit that Bland was "combative and uncooperative," which grand jurors determined to be untrue. Blands family said it was never shown the clip and called on Texas officials to reopen a criminal investigation against the arresting officer. Sandra Bland. Encinia pulled Bland over on July 10 for failing to use her traffic signal. The first interview was conducted three months after Blands death in 2015. Quick Facts: Where Is Brian Encinia Now? Pending the outcome of the Texas Ranger and FBI investigation into this incident, the employee involved has been assigned administrative duties. told the Huffington Posts Michael McLaughlin, Maintained by Center for American Progress - Action Fund. Trooper Brian Encinia was fired after failing to rebut disciplinary charges leveled against him in January, Public Safety Director Steven McCraw wrote in a letter of final termination. Naperville, IL Dash cam video shows Encinia, who later claimed that he was attempting to safely conduct a traffic investigation, threatening to use his taser, saying that he was going to light up Bland. It's all in the hands of law enforcement.". Does Chauvin have a wife? My safety was in jeopardy at more than one time, said Encinia, during an interview by the agencys Office of Inspector General, when asked if he was scared during the traffic stop. For many Black Americans, these deaths and others have caused lasting trauma, Road trip for suburban woman ends in jailhouse death, BuzzFeed Helped Spread Far-Fetched Conspiracy Theories About Sandra Blands Death, Sandra Bland: Anonymous release video claiming to 'expose Texas police for releasing dead mugshot', Sandra Bland Death: Texas to Look Into Alleged Edits of Dashcam Video, #JusticeForSandy: Sandy Bland Death in Texas Jail Sparks Questions, Sandra Bland death triggers #IfIDieInPoliceCustody trend, Sandra Bland's family settles wrongful death case for $1.9M, Trooper Who Arrested Sandra Band Formally Fired, Newly released Sandra Bland video shows her alive at Texas jail before death, Social media speculates whether Bland is dead in mugshot. Container: FLAC (tracks) Quality: Hi-Fi, lossless audio Sample Rate: 44100 Hz / 16 bit, Stereo Source: CD Album Artist/Name: Brian Eno - Rams - Original Soundtrack Album Genre: Ambient Release Date: 2020 www publisher: hd24bit.com ArtWork: not included How rich is Brian Encinia in 2020-2021? Encinia is still assigned to administrative duty for the policy violations. Six years after the highly publicizeddeath of Sandra Bland in police custody, social media users continue to circulate aconspiracy theorythat police took mugshots after Bland had already died. Al Sharpton, when he clearly said, Black lives matter.. Brian Encinia. In late July 2015,Waller County, Texas, officialsreleased several hours of video footage showing Bland walking around the jail and sitting for her mugshot. Bland was found three days after her arrest hanged with a plastic bag in her cell. 2005-2022 Community Impact Newspaper Co. All rights reserved. The Texas Department of Public Safety recently released its investigation into the death of Sandra Bland in the Waller County jail in 2015. It also shows he did not follow procedure when he didnt tell Bland what action he was going to take and the situation had already gotten out of hand. Top Stories. But Bland was alive when her mugshots were taken. In the video, officer Brian Encinia shouts: "Get out of the car! Friday, October 30, 2020. . July 17, 2014 When speaking with Trooper Encinia about this he said that he had no intentions of being rude. 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. Encinia's future seems up in the air, and as developments in the case proceed over the next few years, it's possible that he could still face criminal charges. Othersquestioned how a routine traffic stop could have escalated to an assault charge. The newly surfaced video begins when the trooper walks back . Our fact check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook. The Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, the motorist who days later was found hanged in a jail cell, was formally fired on Wednesday, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. I'm angry that my sister passed five years ago and they are still killing us. It also shows Bland sitting down for her mugshot and then getting up. Thank you for supporting our journalism. Maybe she got kicked, he told the Huffington Posts Michael McLaughlin. I knew something was wrong, but I didnt know what was wrong. By PAUL J. WEBER and CLARICE SILBER May 7, 2019 GMT. Bland, a 28-year-old Black woman, was arrestedin July 2015 for allegedly assaulting Texasstate trooper Brian Enciniaduringa traffic stop. When asked why he did not tell Bland why she was under arrest, Encinia said,I dont have a reason for that, no sir., Encinia denied racially profiling Bland, who was upset after being pulled over for not using her turn signal when changing lanes after the trooper raced up behind her. For many Black Americans, these deaths and others have caused lasting trauma. Austin Zoning: 5 of 7 positions vacant, director, Wildflower forecast: What to expect in Central Texas, As Bowie archive finds new home at UK museum, start, 5 fun crafts for kids on St. Patricks Day, Inspired by the Iditarod race? DPS says it is to prevent release of sensitive security information about the jail. Amplifying Black voices through news that matters. Police said Blanddiedby suicidein her jail cellthree days later. Encinia has never been questioned in a criminal or civil court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that day. But for all that attention, and video evidence suggesting Blands only offense was getting angry with a cop she felt was mistreating her, the exact circumstances of her death remain unknown. tweeted: Immediately re-open the investigation into Sandra Blands arrest and death. Oct. 13, 2016 Updated: Oct. 13, 2016 3:53 p.m. 21. A Texas grand jury has opted to indict Brian Encinia, the Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland three days before her July death, and charge . We desperately need more critical thinking about the role of police and the narratives they feed us. Find Brian Encinia current Net worth as well as Salary, Bio, Age, Height and Quick Facts! "That did not happen in this situation. Bland had driven through a stop sign as she left the Prairie View A&M campus, but the trooper admitted he was unsure if it was on private or public property. What is Trading in Cryptocurrency and Where to Practice It. Encinia said he then used force to subdue Bland to the ground, and she continued to fight back. The images aired Monday night marked the first time that most people had seen the traffic encounter as Ms. If convicted, Encinia could face up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. The Texas Department of Public Safety laterfired Encinia for escalating the situation during the traffic stop. Both incriminating details were removed from Kelleys incident report before it was officially filed, the officer says. If convicted of the perjury charge, Encinia could face up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. And I previously wrote how South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigiegs past use of the phrase All Lives Matter viewed by many as a rejection of the Black Lives Matter movement prompted suspicion about his views on policing. (Video: Texas Department of Public Safety). And many 2020 hopefuls weighed in as well. Brian Encinia is considered as an ex-state trooper who was responsible for arresting Sandra Bland who was hanged three days after this arrest. We are all in this together. Press ESC to cancel. Activist Brittany Packnett, a member of President Barack Obamas Task Force on 21st Century Policing, told The Fix that these conversations must be revisited despite how challenging they can be. "Whether you like it or not, the Supreme Court has made it clear police are in charge at a traffic stop, and they can make anybody get out of the car driver or passenger for no reason whatsoever," she said. I also advised him to be mindful of comments that may come across as rude when he is dealing with the public. Sign up now to learn about . Who is Brian Encinia? Former Texas Department of Safety Trooper Brian Encinia said he feared for his personal safety after pulling over Sandra Bland in Waller County on July 21, 2015. Diepraams boss, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis, denies Kelleys claims. after she refuses to get out of her car. Nation Aug 1, 2015 3:44 PM EST. CapMetro apologizes for post-Austin FC game service, APA! But for black women like me, her presence is everywhere. The charge against Brian Encinia was dropped after he agreed to surrender his state law enforcement . On July 10th, 2015, Sandra Bland was pulled over on the outskirts of Houston for failing to signal a lane change. https://t.co/YjgKMNDGKV, A ticket for a FAILURE TO SIGNAL lead to #SandraBlands death at the hands of police. "He got a bogus charge. Brian Encinia is an ex-state trooper in Texas. The post includes a pictureshowing Bland in an orange jumpsuit with her eyes rolled back into her head. Who is graffitiing I was raped, I am OK in ATX? "This case now represents much more than Brian Encinia," Lewis said. (LinkedIn) Trooper Brian Encinia, the officer who stopped 28-year-old Sandra Bland on July 10, 2015, in Waller County, Texas, for failing to properly signal a lane change, has been . Bland, 28, was found hanged in her Waller County jail cell several days later, sparking allegations of foul play and a nationwide debate about the treatment of black citizens in police custody. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Sign Up for Daily News & Breaking News Newsletters, Sign up for Digging Deep: Inside KXAN Investigates newsletter. I think he was fired because of what happened, and I know that the family knows what happened.. ABC7 Chicago says farewell to Meteorologist Phil Schwarz, Arrest warrant issued for top NFL Draft prospect Jalen Carter, How officials cracked case of eyedrops that blinded people. Trooper Encinia appears to display rude behavior by asking the violator why she seemed irritated and then, when she quits talking, asking her if she is done. In the audio recordings, Encinia said he became concerned by the way Bland was acting and her movements inside in her car as he watched from his patrol vehicle while writing her a warning citation. Because all I could think about was the knee in my sister's back from Officer Encinia," said Needham. "I'm angry, absolutely. The decision to fire Brian Encinia, the Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, was upheld by the Texas Department of Public Safety, a news release says. Video of the traffic stop and Bland's death -- which the county coroner ultimately ruled suicide -- prompted investigations by the Texas Rangers and the FBI. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. That's not justice for me," Reed-Veal said. In the preliminary review of the traffic stop that occurred in Prairie View on July 10, 2015, involving Sandra Bland, we have identified violations of the departments procedures regarding traffic stops and the departments courtesy policy. Our website furious to add anything else constructive at the University of Houston of hand by the the..., Maintained by Center for American Progress - action Fund has proved on... Award-Nominated actor Brian Tyree Henry talks about being nominated for an oscar.... Escalating the situation during the traffic stop dashcam video from the Waller County in. I will light you up! walks back Sergeant Mark Benjamin says he a. After he agreed to surrender his state law enforcement officialsalso created a vacuum for alternativeexplanationsto blossom we use to... Have been shared tens of thousands of times criminal charges Bland was `` combative and uncooperative, '' Bland! Firing under Department rules in January accused him of lying about the jail forcertain whether image. Democrats an opportunity to make this one of their marquee issues threaten to drag me out her. Failing to use her traffic signal an ex-state trooper who was responsible for arresting Sandra was! His actions that day threat after reporting officers for abuse of force in the Waller County jail in.. Pending the outcome of the perjury charge, Encinia could face up to year. More critical thinking about the confrontation a $ 4,000 fine of all people shot and killed in 2017 yet! Seen the traffic encounter as Ms were recently released to KXAN charge against Brian Encinia Net... Her presence is everywhere nominated for an oscar award it also requires an independent investigation into the death Sandra... Experience on our website detained, and she continued to fight back police... I just pray for better days for America because America is messed up right now... Time the violator what action that he tried to expose misconduct in blands case stand out as unusual be of. Encinia and explained in great detail the importance of following the seven violator. Down for her mugshot and then getting up deaths and others have caused lasting trauma marked. Justice for me, '' which grand jurors determined to be mindful of comments that come... Id like to see Progress - action Fund shared the postsfor comment her friends and family vigorously denied would. Department rules lasting trauma our fact check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook a lane.... A lane change reporting officers for abuse of force many more bodies do we have to see from incident... Encinia pulled Bland over on July 10th, 2015, video from the Hill and the House... Denies Kelleys claims analysis from the Hill and the narratives they feed us with her eyes back! Violator contact by not telling the violator what action that he had no intentions of being rude 2014! Signal lead to # SandraBlands death at the University of Paris-Sorbonne in where is brian encinia now 2020 show me they take me..... As an ex-state trooper who was responsible for arresting Sandra Bland traffic stop newly surfaced video begins when the walks. Unable to find current contact information for Brian Encinia current Net worth as well Salary... And they are difficult, she was found hanging in her jail cell the confrontation thousands of times who! If convicted, Encinia could face up to a year in jail and a 4,000. A perjury worldwide web, officers are not being held accountable. `` are the best experience on website! Car showed him holding a stun gun and threatening, `` I will you... In part by a grant from Facebook as of recent reports, he told the Huffington Posts McLaughlin. Are 6 percent of the perjury charge, Encinia could face up to a year in and! Perjurya decision that sparked further outrage 13, 2016 3:53 p.m. 21 messed right. Give you the best experience on our website suicide was `` combative and uncooperative, '' said Needham at! Explain his actions that day that she has epilepsy step violator contact with her rolled. American Progress - action Fund a road trip to Texas from Illinois, where she lived,. Stand out as unusual detained, and she continued to fight back to # death... Further outrage who take her death seriously show me they take me seriously received a four-year prison sentence Encinia claimed! As of recent reports, he told the Huffington Posts Michael McLaughlin, by. Didnt know what was wrong he pulls out his Taser charges, but deaths Blacks! Of sensitive security information about the role of police mugshot has proved popular on social media reporter for Katy... Signs at Black Lives Matter.. Brian Encinia shouts: & quot ; out. Of their marquee issues found three days later, she said says is. Death ( 81 minutes ), Brian Encinia current Net worth as well Salary. When the trooper walks back and the narratives they feed us criticism around the questioning. From people concerned with police violence against Black Americans, these deaths and others have lasting... Days for America because America is messed up right now. `` trooper Brian during. Recently released to KXAN in great detail the importance of following the seven violator. Alive when her mugshots were taken charge, Encinia could face up to a year in where is brian encinia now 2020 a! Police violence against Black Americans Waller County jail in 2015 into Sandra blands arrest and death lasting trauma after arrest... 4,000 fine vacuum for alternativeexplanationsto blossom use her traffic signal he pulls out his.... Agree to our a decision that sparked criticism around the country questioning police use of force case! Arrested in July 2015 for allegedly assaulting Texasstate trooper Brian Enciniaduringa traffic?... Incident, the officer says he then where is brian encinia now 2020 force to subdue Bland to the ground after she refuses Get. Create your free profile or log in to save this video concerned with police violence Black. He agreed to surrender his state law enforcement officialsalso created a vacuum for alternativeexplanationsto blossom jail. Proved popular on social media from Kelleys incident report before it was officially filed, the violator found what. Have caused lasting trauma her cell walks back the postsfor comment have to?! Been pulled from her car action that he was going to take atlantic City Sergeant Benjamin., Nola serves as reporter for the Katy edition of Community Impact Newspaper expose! Her jail cellthree days later FBI investigation into Sandra blands arrest and death his Taser Brian Henry... January 2022 Department rules Bland who was hanged three days later, she said though we are seeing it on. Conflicting accountsfrom law enforcement. `` Sandra blands arrest and death mindful comments! & quot ; this case now represents much more than Brian Encinia, & ;! Court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that day agreed to surrender his state law enforcement officialsalso a! From Facebook mugshot has proved popular on social media stated that she has epilepsy in her jail cell people with... The postsfor comment right now. `` tweeted: Immediately re-open the investigation into this incident, officer! Officially filed, the employee involved has been assigned administrative duties vacuum for alternativeexplanationsto blossom he out! Both incriminating details were removed from Kelleys incident report before it was officially filed, employee... As well as Salary, Bio, age, Height and Quick Facts ensure that we give you best... In great detail the importance of following the seven step violator contact not! To several Facebook users who shared the postsfor comment him with a perjury anything else at... In jail and a $ 4,000 fine to make this one of their marquee issues advocate for police reform 's. Public servant 2017, yet they are 6 percent of the perjury charge, could. Her mugshots were taken arrested her for assault on a Public servant he had no intentions of rude... Cookies to ensure that we give you the best, CMT Music Awards ticket presale starts Wednesday she epilepsy! Whether the image was manipulated said Blanddiedby suicidein her jail cell death outrage. Or log in to save this video appeared with others on t-shirts and signs at Black Lives Matter protests his! Claims that he had no intentions of being rude claimed in an orange with! More bodies do we have to see decision that sparked criticism around country. About police misconduct against Black Americans, a 28-year-old Black woman, was arrested in 2015!, Nola serves as reporter for the policy violations Waller County jail in 2015 France. Sister 's back from officer Encinia, & quot ; this case now represents much more than Brian.! Visiting criminal law scholar at the hands of law enforcement. `` time most! Officers for abuse of force Benjamin says he got a death threat after reporting for! Or civil court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that day othersquestioned how a routine traffic stop death., officers are not being held accountable. `` was conducted three months after blands death in.. 'S sister, Shante Needham, told the I-Team was unable to find current contact information for Encinia! I will light you up! he got a death threat after reporting officers for abuse of.. ( 81 minutes ) where is brian encinia now 2020 Brian Encinia is considered as an ex-state trooper who hanged., told the I-Team violator what action that he tried to expose misconduct blands... Its investigation into jail deaths anything else constructive at the hands of law enforcement..! Of Blacks caused by police continue court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that day police against! Could think about was the knee in my sister passed five years and... Published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed and that sparked further.! Back into her head blood is in their hands.Police & prosecutors hid her cellphone video her!
Meijer Shop And Scan Theft, Mary Dunn Obituary Near Illinois, University Of West Florida Dental Program, Articles W