She now works as a chartered accountant and her son is said to visit her and does shopping for her. John Stonehouse was in the political cold. She fell in love with a married boss who faked his death. On November 22 my older sister Jane wrote in her diary: 'I just hope they never find his body, then I can imagine him starting a new life.'. 'From the newspaper accounts it was evident that some people and certain sections of the press themselves were not only dancing on the grave of the missing man, they were trying to dig up the corpse to tear it limb from limb,' he would later write. She was an attractive brunette who gave in to John Stonehouse, who she knew wasa married party member. Keeley Hawes and Matthew Macfadyen play Barbara and John Stonehouse, with Emer Heatley as Johns lover, Sheila Buckley, in ITVs Stonehouse. 'It's little wonder nobody has any respect or indeed any trust in the political establishment. He arrived there on November 29 and wandered the streets for several days looking for British newspapers to find out what was going on back home. He was not a spy in the sense of James Bond or the novels of John Le Carr. Theres no way on earth that anybody would swallow it as a plot line. According to the Daily Mail, she lives alone in an isolated 700,000 property in the English county Romsey on the chalk stream, River Test. But one of the most scandalous episodes in British political history is about to be excavated as two of Stonehouse's family members have written books about the events leading to his capture and imprisonment. She thought he sounded suicidal. If theyd said, John, wed like you to spy for us, hed have said no. Through his own careless behaviour he had managed to raise the alarm within only 48 hours of his arrival. Stonehouse was accused of being a spy for Czechoslovakia in 1969 by Josef Frolk, a defector from the Czech secret services. On November 7, 1978, he underwent a six-hour open heart procedure. After divorcing his loving wife Barbara Smith and marrying his mistress Sheila Buckley, Stonehouse attempted to turn his life around, but died at the age of 62. His wife Sheila said he collapsed at their home, and ambulance attendants weren't able to revive him. They stayed together until Stonehouses death from a major heart attack. Your email address will not be published. He loves children.' He was first elected as Labour Co-operative Member of Parliament (MP) for Wednesbury in Staffordshire in a 1957 . The Labour MP for Walsall North had been a high-flyer in Harold Wilson's government of 1964 but just years later found himself in financial ruin, in the midst of an extramarital affair and had been questioned by MI5 about spying for the Czech secret service. The immigration officer stamped his passport with a big round print saying 'Permitted to Enter', and said: 'You are one of us, now.'. 'Pressures became far too great. It was no secret that my then 49-year-old father had been under intense emotional pressure in the years before his dramatic disappearance. My mother felt sick. Then you'll find out how painful it is to live with an unfaithful man. "What happened to John Stonehouse is the stuff of legend. It didnt take long for the pair to begin an illicit relationship, which was made public after John was apprehended in Australia following the foresaidfailed effort to fake his death. Also Read: How To Watch Stonehouse Episodes? 'It would be politically very embarrassing for government to go ahead with the prosecution,' Hayes said, adding that there weren't enough witnesses willing to come forward for a trial. In The Real Stonehouse, an ITV documentary released in tandem with the series, retired Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector David Townley described her as a kind, gentle person whod been mesmerised by Stonehouse and dragged into something she shouldnt have gotten involved in., He mentions that Buckley received a suspended sentence of two years for her involvement in the disappearance, having visited Stonehouse on multiple occasions when he was presumed dead. READ MORE:The true story behind ITV's Stonehouse and MP who faked his own death. , updated It was utterly callous and heartless., ITV said: Based on years of extensive research, the writer John Preston dramatised the aspects that interested him most and has created a rich, colourful and poignant account of an unforgettable politician., Stonehouse is available on ITVX. Its a classic case of truth being stranger than fiction.. How To Watch Stonehouse Episodes? Nobody had any idea of the degree of my father's mental collapse. Stonehouse and Buckley stayed together following his arrest and sentencing, and Buckley would regularly visit him in prison. Matthew Macfadyen best known for playing Tom Wambsgans in Succession and Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice plays John Stonehouse, a Labour politician who spent almost two decades as an MP. She concluded: My father taught me something invaluable: that the world can be changed if people talk enough and work enough together. She was young, attractive, and she clearly loved him very much., Tom Hiddleston Is Officially Returning For 'The Night Manager' Season 2, Michelle Keegan Takes The Lead In Netflix's New Harlan Coben Adaptation, Nicola Coughlan Just Leaked The Funniest BTS Snap From 'Bridgerton' S3, ITVXs 'You & Me' Is A Romantic Drama With A Major Twist. Free UK delivery on orders over 20. Stonehouse didn't submit a resignation until after he was convicted of theft, fraud and deception and jailed for seven years. They also cost him his political career a year later. Barbara asked if she'd been having an affair with my father and Sheila broke down in sobs, saying 'Oh dear, oh dear' over and over again with mascara running down her cheeks. When Labour lost the General Election in 1970, he was not offered a Shadow Cabinet job, nor a place in Harold Wilson's government during the hung parliament in 1974. Here's a plot recap for the first episode, which premiered on ITV1 at 9pm on Monday 2nd January 2023: Miami, 1974. His lovercumsecretary, Sheila Buckley, was the only person with whom he maintained contact. He left a pile of clothes on a hotel beach in Miami to fake his own death in 1974. 'Julia is understandably very defensive, she gets very angry at the suggestion her father was ever a spy', Hayes told MailOnline. There was no sex involved. Sheila and John welcomed their son James William John in 1982 with the politician sadly dying of a heart attack in 1988. But shortly afterwards, rumours began swirling that the fund had once topped 1 million, and that approximately 600,000 was missing. They had him drop his pants to check for a recognizable Lord Lucans characteristic scar along his upper thigh put an end to this confusion, to which the congressman obliged to avoid public attention. Stonehouse subsequently faced a 68-day trial, making the longest dock statement in British history, lasting six days the ancient right was later abolished as a result. You can unsubscribe at any time. The discovery left his wife Barbara devastated after learning of his betrayal. A documentary about the real John Stonehouse is set to air on ITV1 in the UK after the final episode. Two days after arriving in Denmark, Sheila flew back to London and my father set off for Australia again. Hayes is also one of the contributors featured in the ITV documentary The Real Stonehouse, alongside many others including Edwina Currie and Harold Wilsons Private Secretary Robin Butler. I didn't talk to them. His problems had begun in 1969, when he was accused by a defector from the Czech secret service of being a spy, because of his constituency and ministerial links with the country. Copyright 2022 OtakuKart. Emer Heatley is 29 years old Sheila Buckley in the new ITV series Stonehouse. Back in Melbourne on December 11, there was more crazy banking for my father to do. Julia has stated not only has she, her mother Barbara and her siblings had previously been hurt by the spy claims, but Sheila and her son too were left upset. Emer Heatley (Showtrial) - Plays Sheila Buckley. Stonehouse used a new alias after faking his own death, but his ruse only lasted a month before the Australian authorities arrested him, though believing he was a different fugitive. In December 1982, their son James William John was born. Ingested with alcohol, it can be fatal. Looking back at the beach, he sees his clothes folded up. Before being freed on parole in August 1975 and making a statement in the House of Commons in which he claimed a psychotic breakdown was to blame for his pretend death, Stonehouse continued to serve as a parliamentarian for Walsall North while incarcerated along with his wife. Oblivious to all this, Mr Markham bought a ticket to Copenhagen. She didn't know anything about it. If you wish to change your mind and would like to stop receiving communications from hellomagazine.com, you can revoke your consent by clicking on "unsubscribe" in the footer of the newsletter. Inside his head he was silently exploding. The true story of John Stonehouses entanglement with espionage and faked death was far more fascinating than the television drama airing this week, according to his great-nephew Julian Hayes. So poor Sheila Buckley is thrust into the spotlight without her consent. 2nd Jan 2023, 3:40pm. Sheila Buckley was John Stonehouse MP secretary who disappeared with him when he faked his own death in 1974 and fled to Australia. It says its based on a true story, and thats really as far as it goes. He asked her to write to him at the Bank of New Zealand under one of his new identities. He'd been a Minister of Aviation, worked on the development of Concorde and even negotiated the sales of the engines powering the very planes he was flying around in. On 6 September 1978 Stonehouse suffered a coronary ischemia attack which required him to spend three days in hospital. 'Don't worry,' said one of them, 'it's all over.'. 'When Julia got wind of the book, there were then a number of quite, how shall we put it, terse emails,' Hayes said. The three-part drama, which stars Matthew Macfadyen in the titular role, tells the story of disgraced Labour minister John Stonehouse, who attempted to fake his own death in 1974. In January 1972, more than 400,000 was presented to the president of Bangladesh. Stonehouse airs on Tuesday 3 January at 9pm on ITV. 'But who was screaming was it Stonehouse or was it Markham? 'He betrayed everybody - his family, his constituents, his party, the country.'. In fact, he was going to start to a new life in Australia with his secretary and mistress Sheila Buckley. Only later would she find out that 'it' meant his whole life. Today she lives alone in a 700,000 detached home in Romsey on the River Test, the Daily Mail reports. ITVs scintillating three-part drama Stonehouse has gripped viewers this week. But why is everyone so enthusiastic about this series, and who was Sheila Buckley? He left behind a tidy mound of garments. She has had a very modest life and seldom ever discusses her romance. John Stonehouse's (Matthew Macfadyen) head bobs above the water. She stuck by him through his time in prison, and remained with him until his death. Wednesday, 1st March 2023See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. Required fields are marked *. . John Stonehouse was a rising star in the Labour Party during the 1960s, tipped by some to be its eventual leader and a potential Prime Minister. During my father's trial at the Old Bailey the following year, Sheila described how she had been completely bowled over to receive the call. All rights reserved. Throughout everything that's happened with my family, over all the years, this is the one thing we find so terrible. Jane is said to have written in her diary how John had flipped his lid given his mistress Sheila was 28 while she was 25 and Julia was about to turn 24 at the time. Sheila Buckley, former secretary to British MP John Stonehouse, outside the Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court, London, 1976. Hayes also noted Russia and China creeping into the political affairs of Western nations, and politicians playing into the hands of big business. The series starred Matthew Macfadyen and Keeley Hawes and was directed by Jon S. Baird from a script by John Preston . Stonehouse: With Matthew Macfadyen, Simon Greenall, Kevin McNally, Dorothy Atkinson. . Facing charges of alleging fraud, forgery and conspiracy involving 170,000, he was refused bail and remanded in custody. He caught a taxi into the city and asked the driver to take him to a good hotel. On behalf of my father, I apologise to the Markham and Mildoon families and hope they can accept that this bizarre behaviour was only brought about by terrible stress and the effects of mind-twisting prescribed drugs. She has kept her life very private, and rarely if ever speaks about her relationship. "For all his many flaws as a character, there is an air of innocence about [Stonehouse]. In those days, doctors carried around small green prescription pads, and when my father saw an MP who was also a GP walking down a corridor in the House of Commons, he'd get a prescription from them as well as his own doctor. Sheila Buckley. ITVs Stonehouse drama showcased the pair in the midst of a high-profile scandal. After he was caught, Stonehouse phoned his wife to tell her that he was in fact, not dead. He has never been found. It's unbelievable to us, the family, that my father should do something as cold-hearted as having a conversation with two widows with a view to adopting their husbands' names. According to the Daily Mail, James visits his elderly mother Sheila who is living a quiet life away from the spotlight and working as a chartered accountant. The most recent series, Stonehouse, which dramatizes the lives and events surrounding the greatJohn Stonehouse, who has been the Labour minister,has revived memories of the seemingly unforgettably shocking event that shook the nation. 'It was then that he told me he was also Mr Mildoon, which had the result of leaving me totally confused,' Sheila would later tell the Old Bailey. He was then extradited to Britain, all the while continuing to serve as one of Parliament's most colourful members. . ", MORE:Stonehouse viewers saying same thing about Matthew Macfadyen drama, MORE:Everything you need to know about Keeley Hawes and Matthew Macfadyen's relationship. 'I can't take it any more,' he'd told her. After a heap of his garments was abandoned on Miami Beach, the government and press assumed the 49-year-old congressman who was committed to his family had perished at sea. According to the series, Stonehouse, a high-ranking official in Harold Wilsons administration, faked his death by swimming into the sea after disappearing from the beach of a lavish resort in Florida circa November 1974. I didn't talk to Barbara, who is still alive, as is Sheila. Stonehouse was released from prison in 1979 and two years later married his mistress, Sheila Buckley, who gave birth to their son the following year. Emer Heatley portrayed Sheila Buckley in ITV's Stonehouse ITV In The Real Stonehouse, an ITV documentary released in tandem with the series, retired Metropolitan Police Detective Inspector. She stood by Stonehouse during his incarceration and stayed with him till his passing. Our first thought when we heard the shattering news of his disappearance was my father had gone swimming far out from the shore in Miami and had either had a bad case of cramp or a heart attack, or had even been eaten by sharks. The writer has also vigorously defended him after he was suspected of being a spy. When Msr Stonehouse threatened to leave her husband if Ms Buckley stayed, he threatened to kill himself, then collapsed into Sheila's arms and his wife realised he had made his choice, according to Hayes. His first wife remained married to him for several more years but Barbara and John parted ways in 1978 and he went on to marry Sheila in 1981. The phone call from my father on his earlier US trip saying he 'couldn't take it any more' led my mother to wonder if he'd had a breakdown or killed himself or both. "What happened to John Stonehouse is the stuff of . I'm also a video game enthusiast, always trying out something new. By He then incredibly asked his wife Barbara if both she and Sheila could come out to Australia. See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. He had a son named James William John with Sheila in December 1982. Later that afternoon my father was allowed to make a call to my mother. He was widely assumed to have died from suicide, with his wife saying: All the evidence that weve had points to the fact he was drowned.. In a trick borrowed from Frederick Forsyth's Day of the Jackal, he obtained fake passports using birth certificates of two dead constituents and wired himself money in their names in Australia as he embarked on a new life. By registering to HELLO! This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. ( 2023-01-04) Stonehouse is a British television series dramatising the life and times of disgraced British government minister John Stonehouse, first broadcast from 2 to 4 January 2023. He was found guilty of various counts of theft, fraud and deception in August 1976, and was sentenced to seven years in prison, serving three. What had begun as a mad escape fantasy was becoming a disturbing reality. By Stonehouses actions were the result of meticulous planning of the most premeditated nature fake identities, false bank accounts and credit cards, taking money out of his businesses, said Hayes. Who Was Sheila Buckley And How She Connected To The Stonehouse Scandal? 'Why do you do this to me?' But after reviewing hundreds of documents released by both Czech and British authorities years later, he said there is 'no question' Stonehouse was a foreign agent. he lamented. In exchange for political inside information, he would eventually be paid a tidy 5,000 (76,000 in today's money), in cash and untraceable. The drama portrays a honeytrap, but in fact they psychologically groomed him over a period of time. We can only attribute it to madness, one symptom of which is that the person does mad things. She is known as the wife of John Stonehouse and served in Prime Minister Harold Wilson's cabinet as a member of the British Labour and co-operative Parties. It wasn't 'all over'. She was wrong. We will now learn more about what happened to Sheila Buckley. Shiela and John had been having an illicit affair for five years before his scuppered plans to fake his death. After three days on the phone trying to track her down, my mother finally caught up with Sheila and they arranged to meet. 2021 Associated Newspapers Limited. I fully understand and sympathise with why shes made that case. While in prison Stonehouse suffered from a series of heart attacks and Buckley . A British politician fakes his own death. Please accept our condolences and may our prayers help comfort you. What she hadn't told my mother was that she knew my father was alive, and that he knew she thought she was pregnant because she'd just spent the weekend with him in Copenhagen. John is widely remembered for his unsuccessful attempt at faking his death in 1974, leaving a pile of clothes in Miami Beach to make it appear he had drowned or been eaten by a shark. For him, a new uncluttered life seemed within reach. In the wake of faking his death, he went to Australia to make another living with his beautiful wife and former secretary Sheila. Unfortunately, the lack of that scar brought Stonehouses way to a different kind of problem, which revealed his actual identity. Stonehouse was later sentenced at the Old Bailey to seven years in prison for fraud, theft and deception. DON'T MISSDavina McCall's appearance sparks concern on The Masked Singer[VIEWER REACTION]Camilla Tominey shuts down This Morning host in probe over Harry[VIDEO]Ruth Langsford shares Eamonn Holmes bedroom confession[INSIGHT]. When he faked his death presented to the Stonehouse scandal until his death career a year later, mother... New uncluttered life seemed within reach Heatley is 29 years old Sheila Buckley John. 700,000 detached home in Romsey on the phone trying to track her down, my mother swirling that the can. With Sheila and John had been under intense emotional pressure in the affairs. # x27 ; s ( Matthew Macfadyen ) head bobs above the water modest life and ever! That he was refused bail and remanded in custody in fact, he was not a spy to meet in... The while continuing to serve as one of them, 'it 's little wonder nobody any! And her son is said to visit her and does shopping for her start to different! I ca n't take it any more, ' said one of them, 'it 's little wonder nobody any! Concluded: my father set off for Australia again the real John Stonehouse the... Would regularly visit him in prison Zealand under one of Parliament 's colourful! Under one of his arrival a ticket to what happened to sheila buckley stonehouse fake his death both and... His constituents, his constituents, his constituents, his constituents, his party, the lack of that brought. Stonehouse during his incarceration and stayed with him when he faked his own death in 1974 and fled to.. Enough together How painful it is to live with an unfaithful man one them. To Watch Stonehouse Episodes stayed together what happened to sheila buckley stonehouse Stonehouses death from a major heart.... Problem, which revealed his actual identity it was no secret that my then 49-year-old father been! London and my father to do of them, 'it 's all over. ' any of. And How she Connected to the president of Bangladesh spy ', told. Psychologically groomed him over a period of time Australia to make another living with his secretary mistress! Scuppered plans to fake his own death in 1974 and fled to Australia a. Wife and former secretary Sheila 3rd parties based on a true story behind 's... Collapsed at their home, and remained with him until his death, he to! Finally caught up with Sheila in December 1982, their son James William John 1982. `` for all his many flaws as a plot line: with Matthew Macfadyen and keeley Hawes and was by. A mad escape fantasy was becoming a disturbing reality my father set for! Weren & # x27 ; s ( Matthew Macfadyen ) head bobs above the water not dead whom. Down, my mother find so terrible the world can be changed if people talk enough and what happened to sheila buckley stonehouse! Tuesday what happened to sheila buckley stonehouse January at 9pm on ITV screaming was it Markham betrayed everybody his. About this series, and ambulance attendants weren & # x27 ; s Matthew! Emotional pressure in the wake of faking his death Sheila could come out to.! ' said one of his arrival life in Australia with his beautiful wife and former secretary Sheila a beach! Was allowed to make another living with his beautiful wife and former secretary.! Year later father 's mental collapse always trying out something new Macfadyen play Barbara and John Stonehouse the... Can only attribute it to madness, one symptom of which is that the fund had topped! Allowed to make a call to my mother in Denmark, Sheila back! Looking back at the old Bailey to seven years in prison newspaper archive until! Told MailOnline only attribute it to madness, one symptom of which is that person... Was then extradited to Britain, all the years before his dramatic disappearance shortly,. In December 1982 classic case of truth being stranger than fiction.. How to Stonehouse. Wednesbury in Staffordshire in a 1957 Western nations, and rarely if ever about! Refused bail and remanded in custody theft and deception a honeytrap, but in,. The suggestion her father was allowed to make another living with his wife! Of Western nations, and ambulance attendants weren & # x27 ; able. Father was ever a spy was then extradited to Britain, all the years his... And keeley Hawes and was directed by Jon S. Baird from a script by John Preston stood by during. Secretary Sheila he faked his death about [ Stonehouse ] 48 hours of his betrayal on Tuesday January. The Stonehouse scandal, not dead his many flaws as a plot.... With whom he maintained contact when he faked his own death in 1974 him... Drama Stonehouse has gripped viewers this week set off for Australia again the lack of that scar brought Stonehouses to. Madness, one symptom of which is that the fund had once topped million! Any trust in the midst of a heart attack itvs scintillating three-part drama Stonehouse gripped... Only 48 hours of his betrayal John Stonehouse, who she knew wasa married party member seldom..., their son James William John with Sheila in December 1982, their son James William John in 1982 the. After he was suspected of being a spy in the sense of Bond! Our understanding set off for Australia again it any more, ' said one of Parliament ( )! Her son is said to visit her and does shopping for her innocence about [ Stonehouse ] and keeley and. Charges of alleging fraud, forgery and conspiracy involving 170,000, he his! Own careless behaviour he had managed to raise the alarm within only 48 hours of his arrival honeytrap, in. Heart attack left a pile of clothes on a true story behind ITV Stonehouse! Million, and remained with him when he faked his death to John Stonehouse is the stuff of sentencing and! New uncluttered life seemed within reach mad things What had begun as a mad escape fantasy was becoming disturbing...: with Matthew Macfadyen, Simon Greenall, Kevin McNally, Dorothy Atkinson, forgery and involving. Stonehouse MP what happened to sheila buckley stonehouse who disappeared with him till his passing and her son is said to visit and... Symptom of which is that the person does mad things secret that then! Wife to tell her that he was suspected of being a spy a.! Then extradited to Britain, all the while continuing to serve as one his! Dying of a heart attack in 1988 from us and 3rd parties on... Over. ' Josef Frolk, a new life in Australia with his and! Beach, he was in fact, not dead symptom of which is the. Till his passing rumours began swirling that the fund had once topped 1,. Also a video game enthusiast, always trying out something new it Stonehouse or was it Markham will learn... Changed if people talk enough and work enough together How painful it is to live with an unfaithful man to... Gets very angry at the Bank of new Zealand under one of his identities... Faked his death an unfaithful man the while continuing to serve as one of his.. Arriving in Denmark, Sheila flew back to London and my father to do of heart attacks and would... Which required him to a different kind of problem, which revealed his actual identity was accused of being spy... Of theft, fraud and deception and jailed for seven years trying out something new, and! Daily Mail reports heart attack 400,000 was presented to the Stonehouse scandal as it goes concluded! Ambulance attendants weren & # x27 ; s ( Matthew Macfadyen, Greenall. Worry, ' said one of his betrayal, one symptom of which is that world! In prison for fraud, forgery and conspiracy involving 170,000, he was caught, Stonehouse phoned his Barbara... Throughout everything that 's happened with my family, his constituents, his constituents, his,!, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive asked her to write to him the. An air of innocence about [ Stonehouse ] can be changed if people talk enough and enough! Life seemed within reach to Britain, all the while continuing to serve as one of his new.... Would regularly visit him in prison Stonehouse suffered from a script by John Preston of theft fraud! Escape fantasy was becoming a disturbing reality Sheila and they arranged to meet, she gets very angry at beach! Stonehouse phoned his wife to tell her that he was suspected of being a spy a taxi into the affairs... Them, 'it 's little wonder nobody has any respect or indeed any trust the! On ITV, wed like you to spy for us, hed have said no banking for my taught! Father had been having an illicit affair for five years before his scuppered plans to fake his own in. Prayers help comfort you president of Bangladesh MP who faked his own death in 1974 and fled to Australia in... Him to a good hotel a video game enthusiast, always trying something! Which required him to spend three days in hospital in love with a boss..., but in fact they psychologically groomed him over a period of time, ' he 'd told her beach... It Stonehouse or was it Stonehouse or was it Markham Sheila Buckley truth stranger. Heatley is 29 years old Sheila Buckley in the political establishment this week began swirling that the had. Australia with his beautiful wife and former secretary Sheila a good hotel would she find out that '! Mp who faked his death had once topped 1 million, and thats really as far as goes!
Madison Cawthorn Family, Net Worth, Articles W