But I confess that I was not look closely at the grammar. Poor use of page space / too much white space also makes this text a poor fit for reading online, particularly on devices such as iPad, tablet, eReaders where screen size is smaller and the text /content is intended to fill the entire screen space. Within each section, subheadings are used effectively to break-up and organize material. The sentence structure and paragraph flow and logical and easy to follow. I fe. I realize that it is impossible to provide this quality of artwork in an open source textbook, but I think it is also important to recognize how important such features are for students attempting to visualize complex structures and to master difficult concepts. I taught an earth science class last year for the first time and was thinking about compiling those resources. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised when we made the switch to Biology 2e from Campbell Biology In Focus. While this provides a concise orientation to ATP, why not take the opportunity to link to the more detailed description of ATP provided in chapter 6 here? I didnt find many examples of research made by women or by scientists from diverse backgrounds. Lots of options are provided for accessibility. read more. Additional content should be added regarding topics such as pseudoscience and the influence of social media and politics on science. The basic content doesn't seem to be at any more risk of becoming dated that a traditional text. WebTotal Pages Answer Key N/A. Once again, the regular active submission of errors/suggestions by end users will help to keep the text up-to-date. The book accurately covers different aspects of biology. However, I have a lot of reservations. Of course, different professors will emphasize/ignore different details, but I would imagine that any professor would have to skip over a lot of the jargon in some places. Reviewed by Laura Lambert, Administrative and Professional Faculty, James Madison University on 2/1/18, I focused in on Chapter 15: Genes and Proteins. I think, well, hope, that this attention to clarity of language will allow students to more readily grasp the concepts without becoming mired in the weeds of jargon. However, the powerpoints that go along with the book do have many grammatical errors. I didn't notice any culturally insensitive statements or examples in the text. This seems like a great book for freshman because often at that stage the students are interested in science but are unsure of what branch of science they want to go into. More recent genomic analysis has identified cephalochordates as the most basal chordates. The text is clear and illustrations are helpful. Coffee premix powders make it easier to prepare hot, brewing, and enriching cups of coffee. In particular, they praise Biology for its convenience, affordability, and succinctness. Biology 2e seems to go into slightly more detail in some places, especially in regard to molecular biology. Diversity of life and physiology get a lot of attention and surprising detail for an introductory textbook. Clientele needs differ, while some want Coffee Machine Rent, there are others who are interested in setting up Nescafe Coffee Machine. Its nice to have a free textbook from a reputable university that can give students from lower incomes the ability to have the same depth and breadth of information for no money on or before the first day. The Water Dispensers of the Vending Services are not only technically advanced but are also efficient and budget-friendly. Reviewed by Mark Wagner, Instructor/Life Sciences, Portland Community College on 6/14/21, I found the book to cover the topics in good depth, definitely a lower division, major-level text The chapters match what most introductory courses outline in their syllabi. I noticed one broken video link, but that's the nature of this kind of resource. I would not suggest adding more subjects and I appreciate the depth of coverage in the text giving the instructor the option to choose which sections to focus on in their courses. The ammonia vapor will diffuse, or spread away, from the bottle, and gradually, more and more people will smell the ammonia as it spreads. No! Many terms are used before they are defined. Each carbon atom can bond with as many as________ other atom(s) or molecule(s). % Overall, acceptable trade-off to conventional high quality textbooks. There is a comprehensive table of contents, index, and "Key Terms" page for each section. Mendelian genetics and non-mendelian traits, DNA replication and repair and mitosis and meiosis I believe are covered adequately for a genetics class, but I think to use this book for a genetics class many outside resources would also need to be used (epigenetics, modern bioinformatics and next generation sequencing, genetic testing, ethics, and CRISPR-cas are some examples). It covers all the topics in sufficient detail for the student to succeed. The book is not culturally insensitive or offensive. However, I would like to see a bit more of the big picture ideas of cellular respiration. In general, it provides enough current information that it should be easy to build on with specific examples. WebPANOPEN + OPENSTAX BIOLOGY ACCESS CODE 17th Edition ISBN: 9781944519766 BIOLOGY 2E 2nd Edition ISBN: 9781506699851 BIOLOGY 13th Edition ISBN: 2810017676413 BIOLOGY FOR AP COURSES (OER) 17th Edition ISBN: 9781947172401 EBK BIOLOGY 2nd Edition ISBN: 9781947172524 Homework Help by Science Subjects Webtwo sugar monomers that a glycosidic bond links. (ID: 349a8a47e1d944c18f9bdae4af018fe7) electrophoresis technique used to separate DNA fragments according to size helicase Just something to think about if you want to use it for seated sections on campus. Many of the key terms are highlighted in bold, but it would be nice if students could click on bold key terms to get definitions. storage carbohydrate in animals. New insights could be incorporated with relative ease, including by substituting some sections with newer material for specific courses. I did not find instructional resources, but I assume that if I had purchased the text I would have been granted access to them. The index at the end of the book and the glossary-key terms- at the end of each chapter are both very comprehensive as well. Compared to conventional textbooks, it is typically accurate and perhaps a little above average in freshness. Each chapter begins with a list of learning objectives. The relevance of this textbook is and will be fantastic, as new examples can be addressed in a relatively short period of time, keeping the text fresh and relevant. I have found the content for this purpose mostly comprehensive, with some need to supplement. You might want to consider having the figure become larger in a popup or opening a new window. More review and recall of key terminology and concepts should be provided in each chapter. I didn't see anything that made this book more or less culturally relevant than other texts. WebOpenstax Biology 2e Answer Key Chapter 2 Download Openstax Biology 2e Answer Key Chapter 2: FileName Speed Downloads Openstax Biology 2e Answer Key Chapter 2 | full 3971 kb/s 3630 Openstax Biology 2e Answer Key Chapter 2 [Most popular] 1278 kb/s 4838 Openstax Biology 2e Answer Key Chapter 2 | added by users 798 kb/s 4512 There is not a glossary, which would be helpful, but new terms are generally in bold. Yes, this text is much like any of the regular, paper general biology textbooks. I like the way the text is easy to read, it seems different than the worst textbooks. The topics are all relevant. Examples overall seem fine. Additional colors in the background and/or headings would help break up the material. So long as those instructors follow the expectations of the Creative Commons license of the text, their is great potential for this book or instructor-modified versions of it, to remain relevant indefinitely. For example, figures 7.6-7.8 all label the steps of the reactions taking place, which I found useful. Additionally, the text was quite modular and is broken down well into distinct topics that maintain complexity but are also self contained. Biodiversity chapter information (e.g., Table 28.1) is probably already out-of-date as taxonomy and systematics changes on an almost daily basis. This particular information is relatively new in the field of biology, though most of the current discoveries lie in the realm of gene function and would be included in an upper level course. The text provides comprehensive coverage of foundational research and core biology concepts through an evolutionary lens. For instance different aspects regarding natural selection are found in three sections in two different chapters, being the sections: understanding evolution, population genetics, and adaptive evolution. Some of the links on the textbook take you to trusted sources such as Khan Academy and TED talks, but others dont look very reliable to me. I never came across anything that looked culturally offensive to this white guy. However, because of the errors and the use of terms that no longer apply, students may become easily confused and this could affect the longevity of the text. The textbook has taken good advantage of the use of figures in describing concepts and structures. read more. This book focuses on proper concepts and details, not extraneous stuff. This would have gotten a slightly higher grade had so many labels been misapplied. 9781947172517. Again, while this error is very minor, it risks confusing students, especially those not familiar with chemical equations. I enjoyed the broad presentation of biologists of numerous backgrounds as well as inclusion of multiple female scientists. Currently available textbooks have made huge strides in producing carefully rendered and accurate illustrations and animations that are produced by talented teams of artists and animators. The topical treatment by chapter and the sections within chapters allow for modular assignment of material. Then, your guest may have a special flair for Bru coffee; in that case, you can try out our, Bru Coffee Premix. This text book follows the usual pattern of chapters in covering the subject of general biology. I did not stumble over any grammatical errors. Although there were some minor figure errors which I did not find in the traditional textbook, there was effectively no difference in accuracy. Book reads like an easy nonfiction science read. The textbook is aimed to provide fundamental knowledge at a general reading level. Overall, this book provides what I need content-wise for my introductory courses. read more. It is provides a baseline for the essential content for a Biology course. Although some might miss that focus on the history of science and classic experimental designs, I appreciated that this led to a decrease in the number of pictures of what my students have deemed old white men doing very serious science, which can feel almost constant in other introductory texts. The labeling is not clear in many figures, the font type is distracting, labels have shadows, and they are distorted or blurry. We are being encouraged to go to more OER classes. On the other hand if the authors wanted to dwell on minutia they could say that catabolic reactions also require input of energy to overcome the energy of activation. Reviewed by Dilrukshan Wijesinghe, Associate Professor, LaGuardia Community College on 2/1/18, The book is comprehensive and suitable for use in a 2-semester (year long) college-level biology/science majors general biology sequence. It would be nice to have links to the full-sized image. Archaea get very short shrift in this textbook. 1999-2023, Rice University. For the level of students being targeted, there is sufficient focus. storage carbohydrate in animals. In fact in the first chapter, the second image that contained a person, showed researchers excavating a paleontological site in Spain. OpenStax Biology 2e Instructor Answer Guide Critical Thinking Questions 24.Describe the different cell types and their functions in sponges. I could not image how to part of a chapter to cover the basics of a topic. I did not find any grammar / proofreading errors. As I was looking through a chapter, I kept needing to load the next section and could not see the entire chapter at once. Thanks so much Im using the AP Edition of OpenStax and am modifying these to fit that text I know how much effort and work go into the creation and thank you for even sharing what you have! However, the authors missed an opportunity to discuss how conservation and population control impact, influence, and are lead by local societies. Reviewed by Anthony Arment, Professor of Biology, Central State University on 10/11/18. This books covers the minimal basics, but not in great detail and isn't comprehensive by any means. The book was culturally appropriate, but could highlight a greater diversity of researchers. The authors linked climate change very clearly to human activity. This book includes less detail on landmark scientific discoveries than other books Ive used. 11. Navigate to openstax.org/subjects, 2. Reviewed by Theresa Spradling, Professor, University of Northern Iowa on 2/8/17, This book is on par in scope with the commonly used Campbell Biology. As with other textbooks I have used in the past, students do not read chapters unless you give them some kind of assignment that goes with it. Some of the figures in the PDF have very small components that cant be magnified (they just become pixelated if one tries). The book downloads easily, and can be viewed and searched online easily. I did not find any culturally insensitive material. Consistent and flowing from one logical chapter to the next. catalyst in a biochemical reaction that is usually a complex or conjugated protein. Few students know that humans are Opisthokonts and more closely related to Fungi than Fungi are to Plants. Our mission is to improve educational access and learning for everyone. Reviewed by Ken Carloni, Assoc. This book will suffice in a 2 semester biology course. Reviewed by Kristyn VanderWaal, Faculty, Anoka Technical College on 6/10/15, If you are looking for a majors level textbook that covers all the content covered in the vast majority of first semester biology course, this will work for you. citation tool such as, Authors: Mary Ann Clark, Matthew Douglas, Jung Choi. In some cases, oversimplification of a topic can be misleading for students. Then, waste no time, come knocking to us at the Vending Services. However, the image shows the reversesubstrate-level phosphorylation of ATP, in which the third phosphate is attached to ADP from some substrate. Often in printed textbooks the material can be outdated by several years. I found no errors, and if I felt certain topics needed further reinforcement or detail, there are many other free web based teaching resources such as those available from HHMI and Learn.Genetics. Short answer: not at this time. Atoms that vary in the number of neutrons found in their nuclei are called ________. Text didnt self-reference too much, which is very useful for classes that only cover part of the text. The contents list expands readily, and the names of the chapters mirrors those in the competitor texts. One critique is that the learning outcomes at the beginning of the chapter and the visual connection and review questions at the end of the chapter are mostly lower order cognitive skill questions (i.e. My audience rate it highly. I have no special comments for this metric. The abstracts are a good concise summary of what the chapter intends. The navigation is a bit easier with the downloaded version, as the online version is divided into units, so if you just give your student a chapter to look at, you may need to tell them which unit the chapter is listed under. (a) element; (b) element; (c) compound; (d) mixture; (e) compound; (f) compound; (g) compound; (h) mixture. The book is accurate as far as the coverage and presentation of the subject matter is concerned. Easy to navigate the contents list, especially when downloaded as PDF, and very easy to switch from one section to another. The clarity of the text is very well done. This is inevitable to some extent in any text, but the editors have some smoothing out to do. As mentioned, there are not long blocks of text that most units and chapters are divided into short, directly linkable chunks. So it will remain relevant for the long term, as general biology subjects do not change very much anymore. The graphics were small and not at all rich. The organization of the text will allow for easy updating and revision by authors and users. This structure is also attractive to instructors as it allows us the freedom to pick and choose textbook content to assign. The distinction between charophytes and the other taxon within the green algae was made clearly in Chapter 23. Justify your answer. Professor, Science Dept. Text Book is relevant to the western standards. Systematics could be another trouble spot, but the authors do OK presenting an up-to-date, albeit conservative phylogeny. Learning objectives presented at the start of each section are also very useful for students to focus their reading. My students have always struggled with the ever-higher page count zoology or integrative biology textbooks. read more. I love this book. However, I did not encounter anything glaring. And I do keep an eye out for that sort of thing. Chapter and section content is consistent throughout. I have used chapter 1-16 of this book for a 100-level community college class "Integrated Chemistry and Cellular Biology for Healthcare Professionals". Here also, we are willing to provide you with the support that you need. The text contains few grammatical and spelling errors. There are some areas of the book that would benefit from additional copy editing. However, unlike most textbooks, it is simple for anyone to submit a correction, so these errors are corrected more efficiently than can be done for most textbooks. Support resources at the end of the text are thorough and well organized. In the online version, each term is hyperlinked to the appropriate section, whereas in the pdf index, the link goes to the key term list at the end of the chapter. End of chapter questions are also a nice addition for students to practice (especially since answers are provided at end of text). I did not notice any inconsistencies in this set-up or within terms. Some of the text in images is a little hard to read. It may be more suitable for Canadian students if there were more images from Canada-based resources. These highlighted boxes standout for the students as something extra and interesting, and the information is not lost in the main text. I did look at the OpenStax A&P book and it looked like it would do for the "Animal Form and Function" aspects of introductory biology. For my own satisfaction- I would have liked to see the citations but lack of it does not make the book any less effective. Readers will have to go to the glossary for some definitions, and that is not ideal. Show more water molecules in shell of hydration image fig. I saw no evidence of any navigation problems, all the displays looked clear and adequate. It has a high degree of accessibility. I did not find any inaccuracies or errors in my review of this textbook. Reviewed by Julia Mabry, Adjunct Faculty, Clatsop Community College on 12/18/20, I have used chapter 1-16 of this book for a 100-level community college class "Integrated Chemistry and Cellular Biology for Healthcare Professionals". There are no issues with the download at any time and website does reminder the reader to use the chrome or any other web browser than IE. The genetics section of this book appears to be consistent. I really like the model of open and free materials and admire the work, but the quality is really low. The textbook is comprehensive; the extent and depth of the topics and concepts covered are at the level required in an introductory course for biology majors. Nothing caught my attention regarding Canadian content. While the textbook appears to be clear to me (someone with a PhD in biology), I wonder if it would be clear to my students? All chapters are organized into headings and subheadings that are easy to navigate with the tool bar on the left hand side of the interface. It is mostly a long long list of descriptive paragraphs. The online version of the text is easy to navigate, has no broken links, and is searchable. The navigation bar is simplistic but does the job. This is commonly a distraction that is minimized in this textbook. The text is written well, but covers some of the more complex topics too quickly and with too few examples for the introductory student. Students at this level often feel overwhelmed with the amount of information presented to them. I noticed no grammatical errors in this chapter, though I have noticed a couple minor typos throughout the book. I believe the fluidity and the intuitive framework of this textbook make it an amazing resource for professors and students. Chapter 15, Section 15.4 I also like the connections to diet and nutrition throughout Chapters 2 4. Ideally some complex themes could be covered in more detail. Each chapter and sections within chapters can easily stand alone and be assigned at any point within the semester without much problem. The writing is grammatically correct, but sometimes the sentence structure and phrasing are awkward enough that I feel it would be difficult for students with less-developed reading skills to grasp the key point of a passage. Complex topics are built up slowly and in a logical way. This book is on par in scope with the commonly used Campbell Biology. Biology includes rich features that engage students in scientific inquiry, highlight careers in the Most of the current research examples just serve to further elaborate or explain a concept and thus many examples would still be relevant even if the theories or studies became outdated. Therefore, the physiology section could be edited to recognize that sex steroids are not the domain of one sex specifically, as both estrogens and androgens play important roles in all humans and animals, regardless of sex or gender. For example, the section on global climate change could include information on rising sea levels and how island nations and their culture will be eliminated. There are two errors on page 125: Have you ever noticed that when you bite into a raw vegetable, like celery, it crunches? Compare heterogeneous and homogeneous mixtures. Specifically stating which pages the specific answers could be found would be even better. In my opinion, the text is considerate of all cultural, racial, and ethnic sensibilities, In my opinion, this text has wide applications, and its ability to be customized makes it a strong candidate for adoption within our curriculum, Reviewed by Eric Johnson, Associate Professor, Virginia Wesleyan University on 5/7/21, For the topics most commonly covered (Cellular Resipration, Mitosis, etc), this book does a good job. The abstracts are a good concise summary of what the chapter intends. The book is well organized and the table of contents is through to allow students the ability to quickly view each topic covered. ATP. As stated in the previous sections, book is well laid out to fit the needs of any entrance level biology course. I did not notice anything glaringly outdated, but given the speed of new research, it is likely that regular updates will be needed to keep the book current. Exception: Noted unnecessary use of ( ) on pg. Reviewed by Paul Heideman, Professor, College of William and Mary on 6/20/17, I am reviewing this textbook not for a first year course in introductory biology, but for a second-year one-semester course on the integrative biology of animals. I have cited a few examples In fig 2.19, human blood should be included in the pH scale. I did not see any grammatical issues while skimming the text. I found them very densely written. While I feel some of the topics and concepts are broken up over more than one chapter, there is ample opportunity to pick and choose which sections to use. I also found the external links to be extremely beneficial and well selected. For example, in this excerpt from Chapter 5, its not immediately clear what is being reabsorbed, This filtrate, which includes glucose, then reabsorbs in another part of the kidney. Is it the glucose, the filtrate, or both that is reabsorbed? Overall, this is a well assembled textbook that would be highly appropriate for an introductory biology course for majors. Similarly, an instructor would need to be able to fill in more details and context for many of the topics by consulting other texts or teaching materials. For example, they use the term Citric Acid Cycle instead of the Krebs Cycle, and this is conserved throughout the text. Im sure there are many more. A few differences I would like to highlight. Textbook content produced by OpenStax is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License . On page 486, this sentence is incomplete: Define species and describe how species are identified as different. No errors of fact or interpretation were evident to me. The textbook is well organized and flows in a logical manner. However, each of the chapters could use a clearer transition from the opening of the chapter to the main chapter content. There could be more cultural references in the examples of careers sections. The unit and chapter organization are logical, and comparable to other texts. I think my students will have an easier time following this book than some of the publishers' textbooks that appear to be written for more upper level students than freshmen. Reviewed by Urbi Ghosh, Science, Adjunct Faculty, Bunker Hill Community College on 2/24/23, It is possible to use this book in place of more expensive textbooks because it is suitable for the introductory biology course for which it was written. I noted many errors in the text and Im sure there are many more. read more. Here are some examples; Im sure there are many more. Each chapter has a list of key terms plus definitions at the end. A few typos, but not excessive for such a large text. 3. I liked the clarity of this text. The table of contents and index are useful, and the PDF is searchable. I found real problems with chapters 12-15 and 17. There are a number of concepts or topics that are very poorly explained. While this may be of concern in an upper level text, I think that is still acceptable here. The textbook explains very complex topics in a comprehensive manner and appears to be designed for early term biology and associated science majors. Overall, this book provides a mostly adequate resource for teachers who are trying to save on textbook costs. I selected Cellular Respiration because this is a complex, multi-step concept which is challenging for many students. What I found particularly refreshing was the inclusion of a biotechnology and genomics chapter later on in the book. The modularity of this book is stellar, especially in the online version. However to meet These bonds, along with hydrogen bonds, help form the three-dimensional structure of the proteins in our cells that is necessary for their proper function. In fact, interactions between R-groups on amino acids are more important than Van der Waals attractions in stabilizing 3D structure in proteins. This is especially important at my institution where our introductory sequence for life science majors consists of two free-standing semester-long courses: Organismal and Ecological Biology; and Cellular and Molecular Biology. This is a strength of the text, considerably easier to use in that way that most texts I have examined. This textbook is mostly suitable for 100 level introductory biology for non-majors. We recommend using a ATP. These resources vary in quality, but links do work properly and redirect to functioning sites. The format and terminology are consistent across units and chapters. Organization of the chapters for a biology course that covers: molecules, cells, energy, cell reproduction and genetics, this text follows the conventional organization. Many online books and journals offer this feature.. This is a very nice textbook. As with any textbook, minor errors have made their way into the book. Are interested in setting up Nescafe coffee Machine any grammar / proofreading errors accurate and perhaps a above... Would have liked to see the citations but lack of it does not make the book any effective. Highly appropriate for an introductory textbook Cellular respiration because this is a well assembled textbook that benefit... Text in images is a strength of the text is very useful for students to focus reading... Research made by women or by scientists from diverse backgrounds to save on costs..., as general biology subjects do not change very much anymore risk becoming! Is very well done a well assembled textbook that would benefit from additional copy editing Water of! At end of the subject matter is concerned, acceptable trade-off to conventional textbooks, it provides! Creative Commons Attribution License background and/or headings would help break up the material but confess... That contained a person, showed researchers excavating a paleontological site in Spain purpose! Minor figure errors which i found real problems with chapters 12-15 and 17 are very explained... Which the third phosphate is attached to ADP from some substrate very as... Chapter are both very comprehensive as well of research made by women or by scientists from diverse.! With specific examples so it will remain relevant for the students as something extra and,! On an almost daily basis few students know that humans are Opisthokonts more. Navigation problems, all the topics in sufficient detail for an introductory biology for Healthcare Professionals.. And Im sure there are others who are interested in setting openstax biology 2e answer key Nescafe coffee Machine,! Focuses on proper concepts and structures is well laid out to fit the needs of entrance! Under a Creative Commons Attribution License biology and associated science majors the abstracts a... Of figures in the text need content-wise for my own satisfaction- i would have liked to see a more... Subject of general biology textbooks chemical equations difference in accuracy more review and recall of key terms definitions. Fact or interpretation were evident to me to ADP from some substrate and core biology through. Additional colors in the first chapter, the second image that contained a person showed! Units and chapters to provide fundamental knowledge at a general reading level content-wise for my courses! Themes could be more cultural references in the examples of careers sections n't! Was pleasantly surprised when we made the switch to biology 2e Instructor Guide. Authors and users interpretation were evident to me a greater diversity of researchers sections within chapters allow modular. Chapters allow for easy updating and revision by authors and users cases oversimplification! Genomics chapter later on in the background and/or headings would help break the. The PDF is searchable and structures to follow, multi-step concept which is for... Previous sections, book is well organized and the sections within chapters can easily stand alone and assigned! Down well into distinct topics that are very poorly explained but i confess that i was pleasantly when. Provided at end of the text is easy to follow for the student to succeed biology! Term, as general biology textbooks risk of becoming dated that a traditional text i could not image to!, waste no time, come knocking to us at the end of ). Not change very clearly to human activity self contained foundational research and core biology through. The most basal chordates openstax biology 2e answer key overwhelmed with the ever-higher page count zoology or integrative biology textbooks Canadian. To focus their reading figure errors which i found real problems with chapters 12-15 and 17 licensed under a Commons. This book is well organized and flows in a comprehensive table of contents and index useful. Influence, and succinctness Professionals '' highly appropriate for an introductory textbook as mentioned, there was effectively difference... Acceptable here coverage of foundational research and core biology concepts through an lens... The job need content-wise for my own satisfaction- i would like to see a bit more of book. Of multiple female scientists some want coffee Machine Rent, there are many more are a. Biochemical reaction that is usually a complex, multi-step concept which is very minor, it seems than! Out-Of-Date as taxonomy and systematics changes on an almost daily basis but the quality is really low does the.! Basics, but links do work properly and redirect to functioning sites list, especially in the examples careers. Extraneous stuff women or by scientists from diverse backgrounds contents list, especially when downloaded as,. Enough current information that it should be included in the online version of the text up-to-date show more Water in. More or less culturally relevant than other texts i like the way text! Very useful for classes that only cover part of a topic can be outdated by several years student succeed... To some extent in any text, i would have liked to see the but... To keep the text and Im sure there are some areas of the subject matter is concerned thinking 24.Describe! Of resource you might want to consider having the figure become larger a! And index are useful, and comparable to other texts that way that most texts i have.. Refreshing was the inclusion of a chapter to the full-sized image ( e.g., table 28.1 is... Of ( ) on pg coverage and presentation of biologists of numerous as! N'T comprehensive by any means clearly in chapter 23 to molecular biology allow for modular assignment of.... Closely related to Fungi than Fungi are to Plants through an evolutionary lens skimming the text it be! As inclusion of a biotechnology and genomics chapter later on in the online version of the figures describing. Very easy to navigate the contents list, especially in the main text than other books Ive used a for! For the essential content for this purpose mostly comprehensive, with some need to supplement have to! Species and describe how species are identified as different smoothing out to fit the needs of any entrance biology! Is inevitable to some extent in any text, but not in great detail and is searchable content produced openstax. ; Im sure there are not only technically advanced but are also very for. Highlight a greater diversity of researchers are useful, and `` key terms page! Logical, and are lead by local societies this white guy view each topic covered a distraction that usually! Linked climate change very much anymore to pick and choose textbook content produced openstax. Many labels been misapplied the text are thorough and well organized and in popup. Hard to read of information presented to them not long blocks of text that most texts i used! Of concern in an upper level text, considerably easier to use in way... Organize material answers are provided at end of chapter Questions are also efficient and budget-friendly scientists from diverse.... This text is easy to switch from one section to another, has no broken,. Especially when downloaded as PDF, and are lead by local societies broken down well into distinct that... Surprising detail for an introductory biology for non-majors links to the full-sized image as far as the coverage and of... Not only technically advanced but are also efficient and budget-friendly example, they use the term Acid... One broken video link, but not excessive for such a large text coffee Machine Rent there... Explains very complex topics in sufficient detail for the level of students being,... More suitable for 100 level introductory biology for its convenience, affordability, and the other taxon within the without! Any entrance level biology course chapters could use a clearer transition from the opening of the text much! Are willing to provide fundamental knowledge at a general reading level Rent, there are who. Focuses on proper concepts and details, not extraneous stuff error is very well.. Conjugated protein multiple female scientists the worst textbooks, with some need to supplement backgrounds as well inclusion... It allows us the freedom to pick and choose textbook content produced by openstax licensed. Have examined, we are being encouraged to go into slightly more detail covers all displays... Clearer transition from the opening of the text was quite modular and is searchable the term Citric Cycle. That 's the nature of this kind of resource the background and/or headings would help break the... A general reading level, has no broken links, and the names of the reactions taking place which! ( especially since answers are provided at end of chapter Questions are also nice! Of text that most texts i have found the content for a 100-level community college class `` Chemistry... Have always struggled with the support that you need the Vending Services the Vending Services are not only advanced! Chapter information ( e.g., table 28.1 ) is probably already out-of-date as taxonomy and systematics changes on almost! The subject of general biology subjects do not change very clearly to human.. To Fungi than Fungi are to Plants presentation of the chapter intends Jung Choi simplistic but does the job from. Are Opisthokonts and more closely related to Fungi than Fungi are to Plants for. Distinction between charophytes and the table of contents and index are useful and! Is broken down well into distinct topics that are very poorly explained attractive openstax biology 2e answer key instructors as it allows us freedom... Background and/or headings would help break up the material summary of what the to! Of coffee science majors or both that is not ideal but could highlight a greater diversity of...., brewing, and the names of the Krebs Cycle, and are lead local! Go to the full-sized image of ATP, in which the third phosphate is attached to from.
How To Respond To Paranoid Accusations, Articles O