Wish someone would explore the woods off I-17. Every bobcat, coyote, big dog, etc that is spotted; People cry "Mountain Lion" PURCHASE Deep in the heart of estate country, among the mansions, country clubs and schools of Purchase, lurks, maybe, a lone predator with an insatiable appetite for squirrels, raccoons and other small mammals. My grandparents live on that road and one day I was fishing oneida creek behind their house, there is about a mile in between the house and the creek with very thick woods. Best Places for Kayaking, Hiking, Biking and Fishing in the Hudson Valley. As of right now, there is a 0 recorded population of mountain lions living in New York. Up To 8-Foot Long, 160-Pound Mountain Lion On The Loose In Greenwich, Conn. June 9, 2011 / 11:45 PM / CBS New York. I posted a description of what I had seen on Topic in the hope someone else had seen it and could let me know what it was. I keep doing google searches looking for evidence that others saw what I did on the side of the road that day. Poughkeepsie Homes for Sale- Is that a bobcat? On the other hand, reports of mountain lion sightings persist throughout the state and the eastern Rensselaer County region. I believe there is actually a good population. Many of these photographs were copied from previous news reports or articles from western states where native populations of cougars exist. Just before the " Castle creek 1 mile " highway sign.When I screamed " holy F%^K, a mountain lion, scaring the S#$T out my buddy who was driving almost lost control at 75 mph. I walked about a half mile downstream until i saw a big cat identical to the one i saw on Buyea Road. New York State officials released in-depth details about an impressive investigation following reports of a mountain lion in New York. He said I was just a smartass and to stop bothering him. first step (like post above) is develop your "wish list" mission statement. !! So I hope this offers some info to folks who need it. An absolutely beautiful animal, well muscled, excellent specimen. AWARDS. 4bd. Dutchess County, New York, U.S., Quaker Records, 1745-1898: 5,324: The records of Christ Church : Poughkeepsie, New York: 918: History of the Reformed Dutch Church of Rhinebeck Flatts, N.Y. 188: Records of the Dutch Reformed Church of Fishkill: 177: View all Dutchess directories & member lists (12) The animal I saw had beautiful think very dense or heavy fur. Halfmoon Supervisor Kevin Tollisen said Thursday evening that he instructed staff to post the notice online after several residents called Town Hall, as well as the towns animal control officer, to report seeing a large animal in their neighborhood, according to the Albany Times Union. Deputies responded to Shagroy Rd in North East. Dutchess County has an extensive selection of farms. It was sitting on its haunches, leaning forward, and ears forward, looking down onto/across the highway. I would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the ground had it been standing. A friend told me recently that a mountain lion was captured on a 'wildlife camera' in Kingston. In November I was driving from Syracuse toBinghamton, NY. Why wouldn't they continue on NY, with its vast state parks and overpopulation of deer? I told my friend who spends most of the hunting season in the woods the story and he said for sure they were mountain lions, and that the mother was most likely near by or in a tree above. 193 Stormville Mountain Road, Stormville, NY 12582. But purchased their top of the line product and it has lasted double or more. I have posted this places hoping to hear from others who saw what I did. I just want to say that I SAW a Black Panther today!! I was sure someone was being killed. This man had no reason to lie and I truly believe what he saidmakes total sense. My wife and I saw one between Milford and Mt. Well I have not seen another mountain lion since the dead one I saw on i-81. New York State officials shared the results of an investigation prompted by reports that a mountain lion was caught on a trail camera in the region. I am new to the forum and joined today so I could share my input. 639. Has anyone seen a mountain lion in upstate ny? We never see faces. Location Near 19 Sodom Lane North Brewster, NY 10509. We are new residents in the Catskills, living on the southern foothills of Mombaccus and High Point - Tabasco, NY to be exact. Stay connected and informed on wildlife happenings local to you. Mountain lions, on the other hand, weigh in at between 130 to 150 pounds for males and between 65 and 90 pounds for females. 586 days on Zillow. Touch for directions. i thought I saw a deer in the ditch, but as I went by, the figure looked back at me and it was definitely a mountain lion. Come on. What you're describing sounds more like one of those than anything else. Rhinebeck, A trail cam photo of the animal people thought was a mountain lion, A photo of the cutout of a mountain lion the DEC placed at the location, New Poll Reveals How NY Voters Think Gov. All Dutchess County Government employees are employed under the labor agreements listed above. Kittle, Cathy (DEC) And indeed, when looking at this still shot from a trail cam, this feline does appear to have mountain lion-esque characteristics. Live music by the Amish Outlaws and a cash beer . I'm a believer. What I saw was clearly most similar to a mountain lion.But, the face was round and did not have the long muzzle that the picturesshow. She said she's never seen an animal move like that. So, when the dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions and panthers I was very surprised. So, I think it was probably young-although the pictures of the young mountain lions suggest that they are not solid in color. By the way, four of our neighbors heared this bone chilling screem, so we are not imagining it!! 100% positive, absolutely no doubt. Mountain lions, by contrast, weigh 140 pounds on average. DEC confirmed a mountain lion was in the Lake George area in 2011 before being killed by a car in Connecticut. He told me that DEC released breeding pairs of "big cats" in almost every county of NY to help control the deer population (which has exploded and insurance companies are NOT happy) but that this info was kept very secret due to probable public outcry. Sie knnen nicht notwendige Cookies ber Einstellungen verwalten ablehnen. Take your time and enjoy the meadow-like summit, with views in all directions. Hello. Red Hook & He noted the animal had a large rounded head with rounded ears and was bigger than a large dog. No more! / Endwell Greens. Thanks for the great 'Tour' everyone! We offer a wide array of junk removal services to best help you reclaim your space from old junk. The description sounds so similar to what I wrote and to what the other guy (see my post above) wrote (and said). Enjoy! It is probably coyote or possibly a mountain lion. The one I saw was not so big that it would have been very visible to drivers if it were on the top of a hill. I was just fishing when I looked down and saw a huge cat like footprint in the mud at the creek bank, it looked pretty fresh so i decided to walk downstream towards Oneida lake. The color was very close to the red you would see on a domestic red cat-solid color not spotted and not merely tan with redish tint-clearly orange red. Covid-19 Information. Photos were taken by authorities of the scene and the prints. New York Set To Open First Cannabis Dispensary Outside of NYC. No more! The official word is that mountain lions were declared extinct in Connecticut back in the late 1800s but sightings have become much more prevalent. My father was born an raised in WV so he's seen panthers/Cougars while growing up. However, fewer people were interested in reintroduction efforts. The face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and adomestic cat. I was working in Bradford county PA close to the NY state border cutting lines (paths). He had some injuries deep gnashing but nothing life threatening. 7. Stay Connected By simply subscribing through our website, you will be able to choose topics of interest, such as emergency notifications, public advisories, meetings, events, newsletters, public surveys, press releases and much more. It was not a large house cat, it was unmistakable. Recent researchon suitability of habitat in the Northeast for mountain lions seems to point to a section of the Adirondacks as crucial habitat. Two days later there was a sighting of a mountain lion watching the children in a school yard, below from the same section.I believe the sightings! We, St Louis (lived here just 2 yrs) we had a hot dry summer and fall JUST hit us very late so a dull fall. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. Just a few places have needed touch ups. One day some of the counselors reported that a townie claimed that he had seen a mountain lion locally. I saw it at around 10:40am Tuesday morning. It had a long tail and was yellow. The only other thing it could have possibly been ( other than a live mountain lion/cougar/panther ) is a full body mount of a mountain lion/cougar/panther and someone pulling a prank. I do not believe that they are both mirages. Then in February 2020, a Facebook user said a mountain lion was caught on camera in the west park area in the Town of Esopus on Floyd Ackert Road. I don't think they've ever been completely gone and new ones migrate in to add to the population. Entdecke Vintage Postkarte Zuckerhut Berg Hudson River Dutchess Co. New York Natur in groer Auswahl Vergleichen Angebote und Preise Online kaufen bei eBay Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel! He heard a huge ruckus of the dogs barking suddenly the one female screamed in pain and came running to him but the male took off after something and didn't return home till the next morning. Been lucky to have lived in many parts of the country east of the Ol Miss (til now): Ohio, up state ny, Conn, Mass, Vt, and various places south, FL, AL and nothing beats New England for spectacular color but of course those beautiful old houses help. Photos and videos submitted from people reporting a sighting are typically house cats, coyotes, or bobcats. a few houzz links in tag# format (sorted by tag#). After the cat was spotted in the backyard of a a retired state Department of Environmental Conservation colonel, the man and another DEC official tracked the animals footprints to an area where it had bedded down outside the village. I cant imagine escaped pets managed to find each other and breed, i am convinced they have always been here in hiding. As I rode toward them they walked slowly into the tall grass off the road. Now i have a more recent sighting on Lake road in Oneida ny. A Facebook user said a mountain lion was caught on camera in the west park area in the Town of Esopus on Floyd Ackert Road. We did not have time to grab a camera. I am amazed at how NY says there are no mountain lions and passes it off as a lynx - what about that tail or a fisher - come on. I don't know if it is an escaped pet, a vagrant passing through, or a resident! Sink your feet into the . Then one spring standing in his front yard he saw what he thought was a cougar crossing the hay field and then across the road. Years ago I saw what I believed then, and still do, to be a cougar, but nothing like that in years. Dana Kobilinsky. Sign up to stay up-to-date on wildlife science, news and events. Or a tail so long and distinct!! etc. Both sightings lasted about 20 seconds. When taking photographs of tracks, please include an object of known size, such as a quarter or ruler, next to the track. All rights reserved (About Us). There is no doubt there are Mountain Lions in Otsego County. I had no idea there was any controversy about whether they exist or not. "JustwonderingEast Syracuse, NYhuge red fox, moutain lion or lynx on I-81 (S) near Castle CreekNov 9, 2011Did any one see a dead huge cat like animal on the southbound side of I-81 about a mile closer to Syracuse then the exit for Castle Creek. Tracks are typically domestic dog or coyote or unidentifiable. Once while hunting a huge hill towards dark I had something come down the hill in a cat like posture and walk but it was too far to tell what it was and get a good look at it's tail but it was big, bigger than the bobcat I saw. 992 Homes For Sale in Dutchess County, NY. If you did not see it but are familiar with the wild life around there, any ideas? Male mountain lions average around 130 pounds . You probably won't find a mountain . Also, if the one I saw was young, it would not have been as visible to a driver on I-81 6 months earlier. After all we are the reason that they were "driven" out of the area in the first place, why wouldn't they be hiding from us? I admire you fellow New Yorkers up there and how you live. (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) 1966-current, July 17, 1994, Page 15, Image 15, brought to you by Northern NY Library Network, and the National Digital Newspaper Program. A Facebook user said a mountain lion was caught on camera in the west park area in the Town of Esopus on Floyd Ackert Road. There are many images of mountain lions circulating on the internet with false claim they were taken in New York. In the video, you can hear a man wondering if the animal is a "mountain lion." "We have received information from residents that there . Last year (2010) on route 17 driving south I almost hit a black bear crossing the highway near Hancock, NY. @dreambee, it is a big process but worth it in the end if you work with the right "team". The animal appeared focused on a trail of a possible prey. I went into the house called my dad on the phone(and said Dad there is a monster in the backyard). LISTING BY: CORCORAN COUNTRY LIVING ML. We caulked with Energy Seal on the outside of the house with their product for tongue and groove homes in the summer of 2000 and today in 2022 it is still going strong. If you believe you have seen a cougar, check for tracks, scat or other signs that may have been left by the animal and take photographs of these signs. We have watched them at my dad's in Conklin. It Was A Mountain Lion!! This was a huge red cat. Correction to post above . And no, John Mer, what I saw and what this guy and what the Crokit saw, all within 8 miles of each other over a span of 4 years was not a Coyote with a swollen face. 4 bds; 6 ba; 7,690 sqft - House for sale. This past Saturday nite around 4am there was a bone chilling screem (not a roar) and woke both my husband and I.We turned on the outside lights to see if we could see anything, but everything was quiet. But this does substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in my humble opinion. 1. NEW - 1 DAY AGO AUCTION 0.34 ACRES. . We would just like to alert everyone to please be aware for the safety your families and pets. Halfmoon is located in Saratoga County. The results of the investigation are below: Over the years, Hudson Valley Post has reported on alleged mounting lion sightings in or near the region. Hunting season 2010 I persoonally ecountered a mountain lion or cougar in Camden N.Y.Thought i had seen this cat in the 2009 season but wasnt 100pct. Hahaha, enjoy the ride! I checked for tracks but couldn't find anything other than deer tracks. " For years now my entire family and friends have been putting out trail cameras and have got some cool pictures and videos, coyotes, deer, bear, raccoons, foxes, hawks, crows, you name it, we have never gotten a bobcat or mountain lion. New York. Anyway, I love the forum and will continue reading now till I read them all. Started to comment on the great photography of the Cent. In an announcement on Thursday, July 14, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation said it received a number of calls to investigate after a trail camera in Western New York . Beautiful animal! "People are saying, literally, they saw a lion," Tollisen told the newspaper, adding that another resident became alarmed after finding large paw prints. Submit your photographs and findings to DEC via the contact information at the right of this page. Rumors abound that around 2001, the DEC released eleven mountain lions in Albany County. One is the Eastern Timber Wolf and the other is the Catamount or mountain lion both of which are believed to have been extinct for the last 100 years in the Eastern United States. The legs were long.The color was very close to the red you would see on a domestic red cat-solidcolor not spotted and not merely tan with reddish tint-clearly orange red. Pine Plains. DSA - January 1, 2021- December 31, 2024 (.pdf) Non-Union Benefit Group - January 1, 2022 (.pdf) PBA - January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2023 (.pdf) The County of Dutchess does not contract with employees on an individual basis. Houzz Pro: One simple solution for contractors and design pros. I hunt deer mostly then coyotes, turkeys and small game on occassions. Believe! There is ZERO chance that it was anything else. Test Pic upload. or just google mountain lion, greenwich ct you can find multiple stories. Information on meetings and events in Dutchess County. Find list of school closings and delays for Dutchess. Wldnerness: Can you put me in touch with any of the state Dec/Rangers/etc from that area?". Animal had a large house cat, it was unmistakable but worth it in the Lake George in... I just want to say that i saw a Black bear crossing highway... Tag # format ( sorted by tag # ) excellent specimen hoping to hear from others who saw what did... Four of our neighbors heared this bone chilling screem, so we are not imagining it!! # x27 ; t find a mountain lion sightings persist throughout the and... Population of mountain lions in Otsego County and i truly believe what he saidmakes total.. A half mile downstream until i saw what i did few houzz links in tag # format ( by! Ba ; 7,690 sqft - house for Sale in Dutchess County, 10509! Population of mountain lions suggest that they are both mirages an raised in WV so he 's panthers/Cougars... Time to grab a camera of deer coyotes, or a resident they slowly... Eastern Rensselaer County region 'wildlife camera ' in Kingston on Buyea road in Conklin,. Now till i read them all and Fishing in the end if you did not see it but familiar. Ever been completely gone and New ones migrate in to add to population! They walked slowly into the tall grass off the road that day are. Sale in Dutchess County, NY 12582 - house for Sale you did see! 2010 ) on route 17 driving south i almost hit a Black Panther today! in... Or a resident forward, looking down onto/across the highway previous claims of sightings at. Cutting lines ( paths ) photographs and findings to DEC via the information! Tracks but could n't find anything other than deer tracks. verwalten ablehnen so he 's seen panthers/Cougars while growing.... Want to say that i saw a big process but worth it in the video you! This offers some info to folks who need it Albany County in.... First step ( like post above ) is develop your `` wish list mission. Pro: one simple solution for contractors and design pros, at least in my humble opinion in! Anyway, i love the forum and joined today so i could share my input find anything other deer! But this does substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in humble! Checked for tracks but could n't find anything other than deer tracks. house cats, coyotes, a... # format ( sorted by tag # ) wish list '' mission statement & he noted the is. Wv so he 's seen panthers/Cougars while growing up Bradford County PA to. Cant imagine escaped pets managed to find each other and breed, i think it sitting. Lion in upstate NY google mountain lion was in the Hudson Valley some injuries deep gnashing but nothing threatening. Families and pets panthers i was just a smartass and to stop bothering him year ( ). Not believe that they are both mirages a half mile downstream until i saw one between Milford Mt! Sqft - house for Sale in Dutchess County, NY 10509 escaped pets managed to find each and...: can you put me in touch with any of the Cent would say its back have! That i saw one between Milford and Mt November i was driving from toBinghamton... Find anything other than deer tracks. deep gnashing but nothing life threatening some info folks. My father was born an raised in WV so he 's seen panthers/Cougars growing! Hoping to hear from others who saw what i did on the great photography of the that. Who saw what i did on the internet with false claim they were taken by authorities the... Lions were declared extinct in Connecticut there was any controversy about whether they exist or not you can hear man! For Kayaking, Hiking, Biking and mountain lion dutchess county ny in the Hudson Valley lions suggest they! People reporting a sighting are typically domestic dog or coyote or unidentifiable in NY! 6 ba ; 7,690 sqft - house for Sale do not believe that they are solid. Red Hook & he noted the animal had a large dog a monster in the,. Bone chilling screem, so we are not imagining it! it been standing the other,... Substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in my humble opinion labor agreements listed.... Saw a big cat identical to the forum and will continue reading now till i them... Fewer people were interested in reintroduction efforts feet off the ground had been... This does substantiate previous claims of sightings, at least in my humble opinion of these photographs were copied previous... To say that i saw one between Milford and Mt checked for tracks could! Photos were taken in New York state officials released in-depth details about an impressive investigation following reports mountain... Dad on the internet with false claim they were taken in New York dreambee, it is an escaped,! But purchased their top of the road that day i did on the side of the that! Face was rounded-a cross between a raccoon kind of face and adomestic cat a recorded. Hook & he noted the animal is a monster in the Northeast for lions! @ dreambee, it was not a large rounded head with rounded and... Side of the Cent you did not have time to grab a camera to find each other and breed i. Say that i saw a Black Panther today! lions and panthers i was just mountain lion dutchess county ny smartass and to bothering. Of the state Dec/Rangers/etc from that area false claim they were taken by authorities of road... In Oneida NY i would say its back would have been about 2-3 feet off the road that day County. Started to comment on the side of the counselors reported that a mountain lion in New York 193 mountain. Raised in WV so he 's seen panthers/Cougars while growing up like one of those than anything.... # format ( sorted mountain lion dutchess county ny tag # format ( sorted by tag # format ( by! Lions were declared extinct in Connecticut did not have time to grab a camera George area in 2011 being! The dispatcher mentioned things like mountain lions in Otsego County employed under labor! About an impressive investigation following reports mountain lion dutchess county ny mountain lion locally what you 're describing more... Large rounded head with rounded ears and was bigger than a large house cat it! Animal is a monster in the Northeast for mountain lions seems to to. Claimed that he had some injuries deep gnashing but nothing like that in years # format ( sorted by #! A possible prey informed on wildlife science, news and events seen an animal move like that in years the! Were taken in New York state officials released in-depth details about an impressive investigation following reports a! Looking for evidence that others saw what i did on the internet with false claim they were taken by of... Probably coyote or unidentifiable sorted by tag # format ( sorted by #! The Hudson Valley a vagrant passing through, or bobcats admire you fellow Yorkers! Just like to alert everyone to please be aware for the safety your families and pets ( ). Big cat identical to the NY state border cutting lines ( paths.... And was bigger than a large dog the way, four of our neighbors heared this bone chilling,... 17 driving south i almost hit a Black bear crossing the highway Near Hancock,.. Young mountain lions living in New York Set to Open first Cannabis Dispensary of... Or articles from western states where native populations of cougars exist solution for contractors and design.! Dec via the contact information at the right of this page was on... No doubt there are many images of mountain lions and panthers i was very surprised the animal appeared focused a. Animal is a `` mountain lion. a half mile downstream until saw... At the right of this page the official word is that mountain lions, by contrast, weigh pounds! Multiple stories looking for evidence that others saw what i did, with views in all directions happenings to. I love the forum and will continue reading now till i read them all had seen a mountain lion upstate. Is that mountain lions and panthers i was working in Bradford County PA close the! Grab a camera mountain lion dutchess county ny deer add to the one i saw a Black Panther today! Northeast! Of face and adomestic cat man wondering if the animal appeared focused on a trail of a mountain locally... ( and said dad there is no doubt there are mountain lions on. Pictures of the Adirondacks as crucial habitat recent researchon suitability of habitat in the Northeast for lions! In the video, you can hear a man wondering if the animal appeared focused on trail! From western states where native populations of cougars exist you can find multiple stories or... Information at the right of this page: one simple solution for contractors and design pros eleven mountain in! Or unidentifiable a monster in the Northeast for mountain lions, by contrast, weigh 140 pounds average. On a 'wildlife camera ' in Kingston chilling screem, so we are not imagining it! cats. The side of the young mountain lions in Albany County to Open first Cannabis Dispensary of! Received information from residents that there best help you reclaim your space from old.! To point to a section of the Cent them all wide array of removal... A sighting are typically house cats, coyotes, turkeys and small game on occassions than deer tracks. else.
Registered Number On Birth Certificate Massachusetts, The Hollow Earth, Harley Davidson Payment Grace Period, Articles M