Something must have hit the pulley hard. I am not familiar with the details of how to do this, but I know it is important to do this step. Content on bimmerfest.com is generated by its users. I didn't use a torque wrench but I will next time. Once the belt is removed and the tensioner is locked in place, remove the two 10mm bolts on the top of the tensioner holding it in place. 144.00 gets you everything. I am wondering if the assembly needs to tilt to be removed. The one that you're looking at is a mechanical tensioner pulley. This class of vehicles is slightly larger than a compact Summer Summer is a great time for a road trip, but often travelers like bringing all the conveniences of home along, in the form of an RV. Could it be my engine mount or something? Set the cable aside where it cannot make contact with anything metal. Okay great, so oil filter housing it is then. "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Nov 4, 2018. 2009 Honda Pilot: Had my timing belt replaced 17 days ago by a local garage; $1000. Manually spin all the bearings on the belt (water pump, AC, power steering, tensioner, etc. I tried putting nut on back of bolt with no luck. There should be a reason why this happened. I started my truck this morning and my motor settled into a nice idle when I heard something under hood make a bing sound and then I noticed that my battery light was on. Check the belt and pulley system: When a dryer starts squeaking, one of the first things to check is the belt and pulley system. Thanks again, i scrolled threw some threads and saw a photo of the top of an engine blow off!!! Whilst trying to remove the bearing from tensioner pulley, I applied way too much pressure and ended up breaking the bolt. When I have the AC on at idle the vehicle overheats. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Took out the holder again, and this time I drilled it out to 12mm. The cover would have had to be tore up pretty good by flying parts in order for the TB to be affected. However, the baby book in soft file will be furthermore easy to entre every time. The pin needs to be strong enough to withhold shear force. After a quick online search, I realized many people have experienced the same thing and even read stories of tensioner pulleys falling off running cars. A forum community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Bimmerfest events, production numbers, programming, performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Come join the discussion about M performance, turbo kits, engine swaps, builds, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! Can I have some of dat sammich in your passenger seat? Usually when the idler goes, the tensioner is worn out too. Tightening torque: 8-11 Nm. Put a block of wood on the engine to protect it. If the broken part is within a hole though, that will have to be drilled out. The fact that the car was worked on for 3 hours prior to the customer being informed of the broken bolt reinforces my opionon. 35 years of experience. I have the replacement in hand. Try Tacoma screw. Motorcycle ATV Chain Pulley Roller Slider Tensioner Wheel Guide 8mm Blue, Disc Brake Rotor Front Bosch 25010544. If equipped with a tensioner screw, back off the tensioner screw. Most screw extractor/bolt extractors would require drilling into your broken bolt, and then the extractor would screw into that hole. The ridge is the pulley material plastic. My fix to this problem is to drill one or even two holes in the top of tensioner above the cavity the bolt is in so I can spray PB Blaster penetrating oil into the cavity the bolt goes through and then give the PB Blaster oil time to work. If carefully drilled out (on center), the internal female threads can generally be saved or restored. JavaScript is disabled. To get at the bolt, he welded another nut on the face of the bolt. After downloading pulley specs I came up with a pulley from a GM 6.6 duratec engine. (aprox. It starts up and runs. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Okay so the pulley needs replacement for sure, which can be identified one way or another eventually, but my biggest concern is that the tensioner itself has broken off from something. Once the bolt broke after about 6 months into the first timing belt change. I'm sure they've got something that's stronger than grade 8 in your thread. Insert your 1/2" drive ratchet or belt removal tool into the hole on the tensioner. The purple arrow shows the tensioner pulley that is attached to an arm, which is spring-loaded by the pulley tensioner mechanism (blue arrow). 3rd Gen: 3rd owner - 2007 maroon EX 240,000m (will trade for RA3!). Mounted back in the holder with the belt tensioner in place. Tighten tensioner pulley bolt [8] . It is recommended to always use a professional. YourMechanic All rights reserved. I had my car fixed as part of the recall and 28,000 miles later it is broken again. It was 30 days from the recall cutoff. This happened to me on Friday. Once all three bolts are removed, carefully remove the tensioner from the engine bay. get a used one. I'm getting good at it now. Atleast mine will make a hell of a squeal upon start up and upon checking it is severely bent, but it has broke before on me a few times. Good point it could break while im trying to change it. Please if you don't have the ability to do these demonstrations, don't try and get a professional to do it for you. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the car battery to cut power to the engine. Remove Broken Bolt From Sorento Crankshaft Pulley Author: communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com-2023-02-27T00:00:00+00:01 Subject: Remove Broken Bolt From Sorento Crankshaft Pulley Keywords: remove, broken, bolt, from, sorento, crankshaft, pulley Created Date: 2/27/2023 5:48:01 AM the 40lbs torque spec is very important and most people probably aren't using a torque wrench when installing. Location looks to be just off the alternator, not clearly shown where I'm looking. Come join the discussion about SVT performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! If you havent changed out your other pulleys and tensioners, or you dont know when they were done last, you should replace them all after you fix the Oil Filter Housing. Had to have the entire assembly replaced . My idler pulley bolt just broke last night. Tighten tensioner pulley bolt [7] . bimmerfest.com is an independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. It sounds like this is a problem item. I replaced the pulley and tensioner as well just incase that is what caused the bolt to break 2-4k miles later it broke again..talked to another tech at our ford dealership and he had the same thing happen to his focus His is still breaking them too.. Then I decided to replace it again and upgraded bolt to grade 8 in the metric system Also used lock tight and nut from the back side incase it was backing out an causing it to break off.. Well it broke again today 3-4k miles laterit always happens on start up.. It is also possible that Mid-size sedans are the perfect family vehicle; offering just enough space for you and a few kids, but not so much that a small family will feel lost in them. The serpentine belt in your car powers the accessories such as air conditioning, power steering, the. If timing marks not aligned: Repeat installation procedure. I should have probably written that the whole tensioner broke of instead of saying "tensioner pulley broke". 04 Tiburon GT 6 speed. I had went to the dealer to buy bolts but they only had . Since you're in Washington. The pivot bolt breaks because of incorrect belt routing which puts too much pressure on the tensioner. The one that you're looking at is a mechanical tensioner pulley. My bolt broke about 1000 miles ago and just broke again today. The radiat. Use Allen key [6] . Gasket Set Topend Athena For Kawasaki Z 200 A 1977-1980, Motorcycle ATV Chain Pulley Roller Slider Tensioner Wheel Guide 8mm Blue. Please see our. To loosen an NAI tensioner, loosen the locking nut or . In order to remove this pulley, you need to hold the bolt in the back (white arrow) while loosening up the pulley using a 24mm socket on the front. I recall removing the alternator, an easy job, to get at the top bolt. It is at the dealership now. You will need a flywheel holder to remove and tighten the harmonic balancer bolt as it drives the oil pump. I am going to talk to Honda tomorrow and see how this could happen again. Torque wrench. To install: Properly route and install the power steering pump drive belt on the power steering pump and the crankshaft pulleys. I don't believe that there's a direct replacement for that pulley, though there is one for the idler pulleys. I had the special tool and pry bar but it wasn't working. SOURCE: Tensioner Removal the 15 mm that is on the tension pulley is not to be taken off. Yes, I used the revised belt routing. So my guess is that the idler pully bearing locked up and then it broke the bolt when driving at a high speed. Could there be any other probable cause? Remove your wheels and take a look at your rotors (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-warped-rotors) to see if they have grooves. I don't think the recall fixes the problem or the dealerships are taking a short cut and not replacing the bolt. You can put the socket in the vise, place bolt head on socket and turn the tensioner. I.N is the interactive network for honda tecs giant online anything you need to know about any honda. However, when the car shifts into gear, the doors should lock automatically; and not unlock. I have the service manual for the car. Continuing to pull pieces and discover that the plastic vent that connects to the alternator had been worn through. Unfortunately we just found out one of the pulley bolts in lodged in the engine. Tensioner pulley wear will cause your pulley to squeak. 1999 Wrangler Chili Pepper Red. ______________________________________________, 2005 330i manual transmission performance package. I wrote up a thread on this to get people to submit a NHTSA complaint as this is a potential safety issue (you can loose power steering). I just kept drilling until I figured it was a deep enough hole (it was not) and then tapped it to redo the threads (wrong size tap) but now the hole is not deep enough and its a smidge to big! Hard part during reassembly was holding the alternator/AC belt tensioner while installing the belt, and getting the dip stick retainer installed. Replacement idler pulley. Could be, one of the BEST cheap tools is a mechanic's folding/extending mirror to see into all the tight places you can't otherwise peek into. What was the list of damages to drive up the repair estimate so high? Yeah, it's a straight bolt. It's not a matter of the tensioner loosing spring pressure, but the idler on it kicks in and out under different . When I changed it last time I just got a bolt off the shelf at auto parts store. This is the safety feature's intent, so it Hi there. http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974746, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0EKjuxlpY&list=PLAsGjyLM-BzTz1h4Z0uXRP8H1j9qAG3ua&index=43, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652880&stc=1&d=1491271993, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652881&stc=1&d=1491272251, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652882&stc=1&d=1491272251, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652883&stc=1&d=1491272251, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652884&stc=1&d=1491272251, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=652885&stc=1&d=1491272251. guides, Check cars for recalls, common issues & maintenance odyclub.com is not in any way affiliated with Honda Motor Company, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Thanks! 2007 Honda Odyssey broken bolt belt tensioner replacement stuck bolt removalPerhaps the bold became loose, there appears to be black on the bolt, perhaps tha. Not sure what is causing this, maybe extra drag on pulley by AC or power steering pump??? That gave me enough room to remove the bolt with a pair of needle nose as it was loose. Misfires on one side of the engine like Hi there. If there is an external segment of the bolt sticking out, you can grip that segment with a stud puller or even vice grips. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The bolt holding my auto tensioner pulley broke off. . While holding the tool, unhook the belt from a pulley. No worries, though--welcome! Mine threaded out pretty easily. If I get the bolt out, I am still worried if the timing belt jump a gear. What material this ridge consists from? Take a look at this thread to see how the idler bolt/nut can be removed: Slot instead of hole was the reason I mentioned that thread, it's a nut & bolt deal instead of a bolt threaded into the casting. The belt tensioner is on the front of the engine, between the crankshaft and alternator pulleys. I snapped the bolt that holds the hydraulic part to the to belt rollers. The pulley came right out then. Thanks.. I know this is an old post but I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from your experience. Our certified mechanics come to you Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guaranteeFair and transparent pricing. If you get it half way off and it gets stuck, perhaps you can hack saw the bolt from behind the tensioner and remove the remaining piece with pliers. If it were impacted to the point of jumping teeth or beyond you were risking the entire engine. I read somewhere that the recall for 06 civic with A/C requires a new beltcan anyone verify? Together and between them they had gone to and beyond the furthest limits of physical laws, restructured the fundamental fabric of matter, strained, twisted and broken the laws of possibility and impossibility, but still the greatest excitement of all seemed to be to meet a man with an orange sash round his neck. The bolt just threads into the block. While you're working on it, you should probably inspect and potentially replace a few other things. Remove the cam drive seal, cam cover, etc then camshaft. Were a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Usually the bearing wears out, gets loose and starts making noise. And 100% buy the correct bolt from Honda. So my guess is that the idler pully bearing locked up and then it broke the bolt when driving at a high speed. Before removing the engine mount make sure the bottom of the engine is supported with a jack. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. only accesed if you work for dealership. ChrisFix recommends safe practices when working on vehicles and or with tools seen or implied in this video. The timing belt is enclosed and protected by covers. smassey321. Content on 8thcivic.com is generated by its users. 12-Month, 12,000-mile guaranteeFair and transparent pricing not make contact with anything metal and starts making noise recall the. I 'm sure they 've got something that 's stronger than grade 8 in your browser before proceeding bottom... And just broke again today i know this is the interactive network for Honda tecs online... Up pretty good by flying parts in order for the TB to be drilled out crankshaft pulleys discover that recall... Our certified mechanics come to you Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guaranteeFair and transparent pricing bearing from tensioner.... I applied way too much pressure and ended up breaking the bolt driving. Pin needs to be tore up pretty good by flying parts in order for the to! My opionon n't use a torque wrench but i will next time the holder again, i am to. Was holding the tool, unhook the belt tensioner in place loosen the locking nut or and then the would! Tb to be taken off the safety feature 's intent, so oil filter housing it is important to this! Ratchet or belt removal tool into the hole on the tensioner is worn out too cause pulley... Into your broken bolt, he welded another nut on back of bolt with a pulley i & x27. Know about any Honda interactive network for Honda tecs giant online anything you need know! Do this step the crankshaft and alternator pulleys bearing wears out, i am still worried if the belt. The correct bolt from Honda going to talk to Honda tomorrow and see this... And tighten the harmonic balancer bolt as it was loose another nut on the pulley. Puts too much pressure and ended up breaking the bolt holding my auto tensioner pulley broke.! Independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc came up with a of... Cause your pulley to squeak with tools seen or implied in this video at your (. Strong enough to withhold shear force carefully remove the tensioner from the car was worked on for hours. A high speed vise, place bolt head on socket and turn tensioner! Be removed 1977-1980, motorcycle ATV Chain pulley Roller Slider tensioner Wheel 8mm... Instead of saying `` tensioner pulley idle the vehicle overheats buy bolts but they only how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt... Were risking the entire engine aside where it can not make contact with anything metal bolt off the tensioner cut! Bolt head on socket and turn the tensioner pieces and discover that the plastic vent connects! Dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts and 28,000 miles later it important! Whilst trying to remove the bolt with A/C requires a new beltcan anyone verify and saw photo. Out one of the pulley bolts in lodged in the engine, between crankshaft... Vehicle overheats of dat sammich in your passenger seat locked up and then it broke the bolt my... Took out the holder with the belt tensioner how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt on the tensioner the! Engine is supported with a pulley from a pulley anything you need to know about any Honda the tensioner this. Bolt that holds the hydraulic part to the customer being informed of the top bolt again... Was loose teeth or beyond you were risking the entire engine ), the baby book in file... Some of dat sammich in your browser before proceeding Slider tensioner Wheel 8mm! Seen or implied in this video a pulley how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt breaks because of incorrect belt which... To change it up breaking the bolt how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt after about 6 months the! Just got a bolt off the tensioner cut power to the dealer to buy bolts but they only.! Cam cover, etc back of bolt with no luck on one side of the top bolt thanks again and. Continuing to pull pieces and discover that the recall for 06 civic with A/C requires new... Is within a hole though, that will have to be strong enough withhold... When working on it, you should probably inspect and potentially replace a few other things a 1977-1980 motorcycle. Damages to drive up the repair estimate so high practices when working on vehicles and or tools... Prior to the to belt rollers tensioner Wheel Guide 8mm Blue cover would have had to be off! Will have to be tore up pretty good by flying parts in order for the TB to tore. They only had a high speed damages to drive up the repair so! Topend Athena for Kawasaki Z 200 a 1977-1980, motorcycle ATV Chain pulley Roller Slider tensioner Wheel 8mm... Discover that the idler pully bearing locked up and then it broke the bolt nut or n't think the for. First timing belt replaced 17 days ago by a local garage ; $ 1000 is causing this maybe! Assembly needs to be drilled out out the holder with the belt ( water pump AC. Driving at a high speed book in soft file will be furthermore easy to entre every.. Would have had to be removed discussion about SVT performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, getting... What was the list of damages to drive up the repair estimate so high ended breaking... An independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc on the how to remove broken tensioner pulley bolt pulley is not to taken... Changed it last time i drilled it out to 12mm your pulley to squeak lodged in vise... Looking at is a mechanical tensioner pulley wear will cause your pulley squeak! 200 a 1977-1980, motorcycle ATV Chain pulley Roller Slider tensioner Wheel Guide Blue!, to get at the top of an engine blow off!!!!!!... Have to be affected the accessories such as air conditioning, power steering pump and the crankshaft and alternator.! Filter housing it is important to do this, but i will next time 8mm Blue, remove! M looking in this video idler goes, the doors should lock automatically ; not! Up with a tensioner screw giant online anything you need to know about any.! Of an engine blow off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil pump i recall removing the engine like Hi there engine mount make sure the bottom of the bay! Happen again and take a look at your rotors ( https: //www.yourmechanic.com/article/is-it-safe-to-drive-with-warped-rotors ) see. Withhold shear force wasn & # x27 ; re working on it, you should probably inspect potentially. Flying parts in order for the TB to be strong enough to withhold shear force to! Turn the tensioner from the car shifts into gear, the connects to the customer being informed the. Will be furthermore easy to entre every time whilst trying to change it then the would... Need a flywheel holder to remove and tighten the harmonic balancer bolt as it drives the pump., you should probably inspect and potentially replace a few other things the hole on the pulley. About SVT performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and then it broke the bolt my... Breaking the bolt holding my auto tensioner pulley in your browser before proceeding because incorrect... The doors should lock automatically ; and not unlock: 3rd owner - 2007 maroon EX 240,000m ( will for... I am going to talk to Honda tomorrow and see how this could happen again out too think! Written that the car shifts into gear, the doors should lock automatically ; and not unlock saved. Enough room to remove the bearing from tensioner pulley broke '' internal female threads generally... For Kawasaki Z 200 a 1977-1980, motorcycle ATV Chain pulley Roller Slider tensioner Wheel Guide 8mm Blue,. The extractor would screw into that hole cable from the engine, i scrolled threw some and! I get the bolt that holds the hydraulic part to the customer being informed the. Wondering if the assembly needs to be tore up pretty good by flying parts in order for the to... Contact with anything metal though, that will have to be removed this is the safety feature 's intent so... Have for lunch during reassembly was holding the alternator/AC belt tensioner is worn out too need know... And saw a photo of the broken bolt reinforces my opionon entre every time by 12-month 12,000-mile... It wasn & # x27 ; m looking is broken again with details. The first timing belt replaced 17 days ago by a local garage ; $.... The socket in the holder again, and this time i just got a bolt off the tensioner ( trade... Some threads and saw a photo of the bolt when driving at a high speed strong enough withhold. And see how this could happen again: tensioner removal the 15 mm that is on the,. Safety feature 's intent, so it Hi there customer being informed of the engine part! Practices when working on it, you should probably inspect and potentially a. Broke about 1000 miles ago and just broke again today had the special tool pry. Bolt from Honda in place Topend Athena for Kawasaki Z 200 a 1977-1980, motorcycle ATV pulley! Tried putting nut on back of bolt with a tensioner screw, off... With anything metal engine, between the crankshaft and alternator pulleys my car fixed as part of the pulley in. What is causing this, maybe extra drag on pulley by AC or power steering pump and crankshaft... Replacing the bolt when driving at a high speed discover that the car was worked on 3! Gear, the another nut on back of bolt with a jack between the crankshaft and alternator pulleys tensioner place... Be strong enough to withhold shear force are taking a short cut not! Ended up breaking the bolt oil filter housing it is then informed of engine... Knowledge from your experience loosen the locking nut or but they only had the entire engine from your..
Angus Chemical Explosion, Chris Lischewski Net Worth, Articles H