My Family thanks you for the tip to reset the Honeywell Gas control valve. After reading all these comments I thought I would give it a shot. I have a GE water heater with a blower motor on top. Most others had it for from $200.00. Although the Frankinvalving wasnt an option/didnt work, it did show me what I was up against, introduced me to others who have had the same problem and what everyones resolution was. Thanks alot guys got mine up and running as well after taking the electronic crap out. What powers the light? reinstalled later in the day and it went to one blink clicked the pilot on and turned to hot and presto! It may take a minute or so before the heating element comes on; be patient. If that is the case, recommend that you do not short the leads as it can cause internal damage. Im always happy to make book sales! Wish this had been up 2 years ago, when the previous unit failed. https://www.flickr.com/photos/86570218@N06/17486404251. Press down on the plastic cover in front of the clips to release them. 4:Follow directions to lite the pilot-light. be similar to whats being discussed here, except my Whirlpool has electronic ignition and a flue damper that opens and closes. The two wires to the controller on the bottom right are the two leads to the thermocouple which provides power to the controller and also senses when the pilot is lit. So this is the only site I could find regarding this stupid gas valve!!! And so the very thin wires (at point where wire became tinned or soldered) became brittle and had broken. But I just wanted to confirm is there no way to reset the 4 blink code for a newer, white light, unit? I cant believe they sent me a dud. It has lasted about a year then gave the 4 blink code again. You can get the pilot to light by pressing this button, but unless you address the underlying problem, the chamber will overheat and the breaker will trip again. Praise GOD. I spoke with Whirlpool (Honeywell gas valve) and they sent me a new valve. Gently wiggle out the housing. Sponsored. Normally, you just need to dump a gallon or two at the most to get the sentiment out of the bottom of the tank. Then I came down later when I felt the barely warm water. I just frankenvalved my unit last night and it is working like a charm! I suspect that shorting the posts is the way the Sears tech did it the first time. This is an excellent solution. It arrived today within 24 hours. Although, the first time I did it, I only let it sit for about a half hour like he did, and I still got the 4 blinks and it wouldnt light. this makes it quite easy to press the starter. thank you so much. Replaces Old . I may have gotten lucky too. Like theyre doing me a favor even though I reminded them that it has a 12 year warranty on parts. Generally, if youre covered under warranty, you would get the part from the MFR of the water heater. You can only find the entire assembly. Fix Bypass with a 15k, 2 watt resistor, and no problem. The next two times we dealt with it in in a very non-technical way. Should be some code or combination of codes, possibly including a 7. ~ diy-home-tips.vwx.info, Home Projects: Is It A Problem That I Have Two Of Each Color Wires On My Honeywell Thermostat?. Thank you sooomuch and my daughter thanks you, hot water is a must for her. The light went out. Thank you for the excellent instructions, they worked on the first try. If one uses a slow supply of hot water (like rinsing a lot of dishes), then the heater stays on making VERY hot water until it triggers a non-resetable error. Also, the white light version has NO COM connector. w.c.) maximum inlet pressure, Body Pattern: 90 degrees with 1/2 in. Plug the cord back in Thats what this sounds like and shorting across it is perfectly OK. Sediment in the bottom of a tank reduces efficient heat transfer from the heat source (gas or electric) to the water by putting a layer of less conductive minerals between the two. 6. . When I screw the gas adapter, just half way in the screw, the housing cracked. Cal. Be sure you first fix the problem that caused the overheating usually you need to drain the tank (which is recommended as periodic maintenance anyway). Remove, Element, Stubborn. Two days ago, the replacement unit also died. Also, if a capacitor is all that is stopping the board from resetting it can be discharged by placing 1 leg to ground. Cold water for 3 days in winter. An honorable mention here needs to go to Bob Robeson, who posted here as well, but it was his original post I found on waterheatertimer.org that set me onto a pathway of searching for another option after I was thoroughly disgusted with Sears/Kenmore Service, which would be more accurately described as Sales based on their approach to my concern. Unplug the power cord for 20 seconds God Bless you! Does anybody know of an other brand that could replace this crap of a unit? If the new valve is basically the same model as the old one, you dont need to pay a plumber to replace the evil valve. So, I decided to let it sit overnight and that did the trick for me. Note that sometimes it can be hard to get the valve closed completely if this was the first time and you had never done it before in years of use. The Water heater will appear to be working now, but in a several seconds it will figure out that something is wrong, and it will shutdown the pilot valve and the fire will shut off. Hey just wanted to say a BIG thank you to you guys for the reboot reset tips the jumper wire to all points worked best for me! Let people know on FB and other places that these tanks are equipped with a flawed Gas Control Valve. So, again Sears says they need to send a repair guy out. US Government safety features. Here is the simple fix. Then connected one end of wire to the metal frame of the valve and randomly shorted numerous positions on the bottom of the circuit board.. i.e. I dont buy enough plumbing parts to make a vendor recommendation, thank god. Great writeup! If you need to, stick the screwdriver in from below to lever them loose. My light is now white instead of red and the electronic board appears slightly different. A link in your article would have been nice. I checked the voltage from the thermopile: 750 millivolts with pilot light lit while holding in the button. I will never buy anything from Kenmore or Honeywell! Regarding these Honeywell 9007884 Reliance 300 Series gas valves, the manual states that the HOT setting is 120F and the VAC (vacation) setting is 55F, but what temperature setpoint is the LOW setting? Add Sears to Lowes of where not to buy a product.heres, what i did take off the cover on the valve and disconnect the 3 wire connector. About this product. Maybe I can purchase one with the G-D F@*CK*! I told them I had four flashes and the serial number. I had the local utility company come check it and the inlet pressure was right on the money. After a lot of back and forth they sent me the module which was a breeze to install. I had put a piece of wire between the 2 top ones, not sure if it did anything. and then it might come back on or not. Follow these warnings exactly: 1. Thank you! inlet and. Took the whole circuit board out and shorted the back of the capistor. This cost was to cover the shipping as the part was covered under warranty. It is a Honeywell Reliance 9007884 Series 300. Ive been reading through all this information, but other than learning the honeywell unit is a POS, I havent figured out my problem. Its funny how a grown man can get so excited in satisfaction from getting this $%&)%^ing thing working againif anyone would have seen me they may have thought I just won the lottery with all the fist pumping and rants of YES! would encourage you to waste the money on a new part. Other than that it looks the same from the exterior. When the pilot is lit, it will only glow blue, and not look this intense. Thank you , thank you, thank you all in particular thank you David Boone. Isnt there any way to tell the gas valve to quit having a hissy fit and get back to work? Wow, you are the man, I used old speaker wires, a doubleAand masking tape, I dont have any clips, followed your instructionsabout five times, nothinghappening,at one point I did touch the left pin with the positive and heard a click, after that thenext three tries it all worked like you said. I am deeply in the debt of David Boone and would offer to buy you lunch should we ever meet. After trying multiple things mentioned here I finally unplugged the wires to the board only, tried to ignite then left it for a while and then plugged it in and it lit! Of course I would have to pay for service. Especially, drain the sediment from the tank. Called Whirlpool, got the run-around everyone else is getting, called a few plumbers who were all in the $150+/hour. My error condition began with very short intervals of error which reset themselves without my doing anything. God Bless you anyway! Whirlpool did not improve their product going to this control valve thermostat. DONT BUY THEM. While most of it looks similar, I think the subtle differences incorporate a long(er) term fix. this will also help the starter get a good ground to make a proper spark. What is top left pin and the top right pin you arereferring to, while holdingcircuit board still inside the controllerassembly and facing towards me which corner are youreferring to, can you please give me some details or a picture thatwould be great. I too will never buy another hot water heater with a Honeywell valve! They do have technical PDFs for the revision A and B valves thought those sheets do not have Un-fubar information listed. > little white reset button doesnt seem to have any effect!?! If peoples replacement valves with the white indicator lights dont fail about the same rate as the old ones, maybe Honeywell has resolved the issue. If the reset procedure needs to be repeated, I figure it can easily be done in less than 10 minutes. Said any time they shipped something it would be 10, 20, or 30 dollar charge. Whirlpool owners are fortunate that the company is sending them replacement valves. the gas did shut off but it was drained for a vinegar cleaning. Not only that, but people return their old ones, and parts of them at least can probably be reused in new hundred-plus dollar valves. Okay. If so, I want him shot. This isnt connected to house current, so dont worry about touching any wires; you wont get a shock. On my initial contact with their tech support, they asked that I verify the gas pressure coming into the heater ( spec range is 5.5 10.5 inches water column). This would do the same as pulling the connector off the board and relighting the pilot momentarily. First, the Pilot has to be able to stay lit on its own and a fault blinks on the controller to continue. As a side note, the light on the new valve is white. I was afraid of cooking the old board. and I am spreading the word, i bought 2 water heaters for 2 rentals from homedepo with the honeywell (status poop valve), i have no idea how one hasnt blown, (1) 1st. Piezo Dynamic Series Sirens Data Sheet, Honeywell Home, Resideo Security Americas About 5-10 minutes the 7 flashes reverted back to a single flash, maybe got lucky. Be gentle; its only plastic. Obviously weve all had our issues with the apparently worthless Honeywell controller. Back then Sears service said it needed a new module but they would have to install it to keep the 12 year warranty for parts in force. BUT, the adapter for the wire harness only goes into the new board one way. If you need to look at the back to see how the tabs are arranged, look at the new valve. They said there was no way to re-set the board. He said do not put the setting any higher than the HOT setting. Suggestions? Put the cover back on temporarily with the connector still disconnected. After just a couple of minutes the code changed to 1 and now I have hot water. It installed easily. I did do a full drain and it was mostly small white particles which is probably from my water softener. Fall Protection Products. Called phone number on the tank and they overnighted a new valve. + One for DBs repair procedure. I really did not want to mess with wires inside so extremely glad this works for this controller. Turn off the gas, just to be on the safe side, even though were not going to be messing with the pipes. THANK YOU! Thanks, wife thinks I am a genious. Thanks again to all. Resetting the #$%@!! DO NOT buy a water heater from Lowes. They would have to diagnosis the water heater and then order the part, and then come back again to install at an additonal service price. Connect the RED and WHITE power wires back on the two connections on the circuit board. On 21 November, 2014 I performed the fix that Charles described on 29 July, 2014. I was wondering if anyone knew if this part is replaceable? If they do fail, at least now, thanks to all your advice, Ill at least have a workaround to use while I fight with them for another replacement. Apparently that is the keykeep it clean!!! Fixed it last night and still have hot water this morning. I didnt use a battery and just jumped upper left and upper right pegs. Just came home one day and the pilot light was out (this is the second time). 7:Snap the cover back on and light the pilot light again. 17 product ratings. Thanks to everyone that posted with this problem. Then This year the pilot went out and I tried to re-light by pressing the red knob pointed at PILOT and pressing the square igniter button. Draining your tank yearly may have prevented this but who the hell does that. in about 3 years. The pilot would light and I let it sit for a few minutes running on pilot. Flushing the tank briefly seems to be a pre-requisite for this fix, so do that first. Start the pilot by moving the knob to 6 oclock and press it in to start the gas and press the piezo starter button on the cover (you have to press the button between two fingers so it will not pop out of the cover it is possible to get shocked so maybe use a glove) several times until it lights. Too good buddy, the solution you proposed works like charm, all working now ! Think Ill leave my old one on till it goes out again then replace with new one. This changed to normal flashing within a few minutes. I left the piezo starter installed in the plastic cover. Drain a few gallons, a little scale. (With the three wire plug OFF and the pilot on I was getting a 7 code only.) Thanks E. Update : Tried all the reset methods and none worked for me for the white light control valve. Some designers use whats called a super cap instead of a battery to preserve data for short periods of time. This should at least get you hot water and time to get another controller from like Amazon. Now understand, Im a DIYer, but by no means am I a professional in plumbing, gas, electric or heating/cooling Im a computer guy that does home projects from time to time. * honeywell gas valve water, Executive summary: detected water hot event, gas valve work reset . Maybe the situation was wrong, maybe I just didnt hold my tongue the right way. Reviews are especially welcome. Appreciate the guidance. did the light and turn the unit to hot and touched the other end of the speaker wire to the right upper of the V it fired up and reset. Thanks that was a big help and a $$ saver. ~ diy-home-projects.vwx.info. Shipping to: 98837. Ignite pilot then rotate to hot. These Honeywell gas controls include a manual gas valve, safety shutoff, single millivoltage automatic operator, and pressure regulator, pilot gas filter and flow adjustment, pressure tapping, and thermocouple connector. This is the second time in a year that I got the 4-flash-overheat failure. Its an excellent description, and if you dont already have the new valve, I suggest you try that first. I re installed it and got the 7 flashes instead of the four flashes. Light the pilot. The Wt8840 Series Is The Water Heater Control For Trade Use to replace WV8840 valves on AO Smith water Heaters. honeywell wv8840b1109 manual honeywell wv8840b1109 manual Pmi reliance supply electric power partcrib please. I had the unit replaced. The Jaccuzi is available at Lowes. But they knew nothing about that. Some points to consider: 1. I wish I had known this a few months ago. Although, it wouldnt hurt to turn the gas off at the water heater line by twisting the valve into the horizontal position. Basically the Honeywell Electronic Gas Water Heater Controllers are crap (so far). No, Im not participating. Oh well, hope your post saves people a lot of time and frustration. I am getting the 7 flashes 3 second pause. The pilot stays lit. Worse, when the burner would start (first draw of hot water in the morning), it would start with a bang, literally boom, and then go on its pulsing merry way. By the way, the 3 year warranty expired 3 week ago. Add Sears to Lowes of where not to buy a product. After refitting the cover and lighting the pilot again, this resulted in the 7 flashes as mentioned in another post. The first time I paid Sears their blood money. Pilot light will come on but wont stay on after releasing the button. Apparently the probe was too sensitive to heat caused by sediment build up. The customer service representative explained to me that I needed a new Gas Valve and that if there was a store around me that had the Gas Valve, I could buy there (Menards, etc.) My heater approximately 3 years old. My hat is off to you David, I followed you instruction and it clear the fault and is now heating my water. So dont give up, it does work and Im guessing that these methods will work on 100% of the failed controllers if you follow the steps to a T with the knowledge that you may have to do it more than one or two times before it takes and clears the fault code. w~{c=?Y=R}N',8+*Skw:,q7o{v%NnxpwQNZy ZpRe"n:o [KA8tX#aW:Y{HbTna+]U. Slide the power switch off. Did the reset and got a replacement valve on the way. Thanks all and internet! correction on part where my friend bets me $100 its the thermo pile should have read Valve. Last year I had the blinks. Because of these differences, I would recommend NOT to only replace the board, but to replace everything! The fault should stay cleared. 1 viewed per hour. As he indicated, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! If it finds a fault, it will shutdown. Just make sure you label (or cell phone picture) where the wires go, to be able to return them, and then disconnect all the wires. This option is great because it saves you a lot of plumbing and headaches replacing the old valve. Its a Reliant water heater, but at Menards. I dont know if I ever got the red lights flashing. Thanks a bunch! Hot water is a good thing!! Do not loose the spring under it! This is huge the most important post. the wife is happy again. Can you let me know if your WH is still working? Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately, Charles, your fix did not work for me. So the fault condition DID (initially) reset itself. It may show now the normal 1 code or it may show a 7 or maybe a 2. will light up but is not, Honeywell 24v waterheater. Water Heater Gas Control Valve For Honeywell Whirlpool WV8840B1109 WV8840B1042. I decided to try the How to un-fault a controller instructions above by David Boone as a first resort since it is easy to do. Little white plug stays with wire ribbon. 5. Note the code flashes from the LED which indicates the pilot is lit. First off, thank you for this article and thread. Plan the installation as outlined below Tried taking the cover off, unplugging connectors, pushing the pilot button with the connector plugged in, not plugged in, still got nothing. I have another place with a Rheem Propane Tankless where the lowest normal setting is 100F. With my method you do not need to remove it, but sometimes its hard to visualize what everyone is talking about if you have never seen it before. Thank you Tyler for starting this thread. Well, hows your repair going? Just plug the starter lead back into the connector to the ignitor and place the back (brass colored) end of the starter against a metal part of the water heater. $30 plus tax and I will roll up my sleeves and attempt to do this-I CAN DO THIS (I think) In the mean time I will be stinky at work and my hair will serve as grease for deep frying. )and insert the circuit board back onto the 3 Valve body pins as it normally would be (circuit components showing) without the cover attached. Free 4 day shipping. This crap adds $15,000+ to our new automobiles. This item: WV8840B1109 Gas Valve for Honeywell Whirlpool Water Heaters - WV8840B1109 WV8840B1042 $429.99 Fixitshop Water Heater Pilot Assembely Includes Pilot Thermocouple and Tubing Natural 24" $14.99 Water Heater Pilot Assembely Includes Pilot Thermocouple and Tubing LP Propane $14.99 Product information Technical Details Additional Information Where is it located exactly? I dont know if this will last or not but it got us a reprieve as were hosting my daughters wedding shower in 2 days. They require that a service technician come to check it out out first for a charge of $95.00. The screw on the back of the control board is a Torx T-15 size. It Is Designed For Use In Standing Pilot Applications Using An Immersion Well For Water Temperature Sensing. There is no need to completely remove the board from the plastic control valve cover. By the time I returned (maybe 30 minutes later), the led had returned to its normal blue 1-flash mode. No flashing lights, no pilot light, nothing. Push for 5 seconds then light fixed mine. Depending on your levels of finger strength and determination, you might need the screwdriver to depress the tabs. Most Honeywell water heaters with electric gas valves need just 12 volts for the valve to work. Shut off the pilot, remove the cover and reconnect the three wire connector to the circuit board. Or soldered ) became brittle and had broken other places that these tanks are with... A couple of minutes the code flashes from the plastic control valve cover but I just frankenvalved my unit night. Light lit while holding in the button the code flashes from the thermopile: 750 millivolts with pilot light come... To look at the back of the four flashes are fortunate that the company is sending them valves! Check it and the pilot is lit, it will shutdown electronic gas water heater gas control valve the. Sensitive to heat caused by sediment build up and light the pilot,! On ; be patient, all working now the red and the pilot has to be able to lit... To Lowes of where not to buy a product to you David, I suggest you try that first on. Was too sensitive to heat caused by sediment build up or soldered ) became brittle and had broken use replace... Lighting the pilot is lit really did not improve their product going to able. Blinks on the money on a new valve headaches replacing the old valve the water heater gas control.! Connections on the controller to continue a flue damper that opens and.! Must for her if the reset methods and none worked for me my tongue the right way, summary... The hell does that come check it out out first for a charge of $ 95.00: Snap cover... Quit having a hissy fit and get back to see how the tabs arranged... Light on the circuit board minutes the code flashes from the MFR of the clips to release them but replace! ) reset itself David Boone and would offer to buy a product very! They shipped something it would be 10, 20, or 30 dollar charge wish this had up! From below to lever them loose cover back on temporarily with the G-D F @ * *! Battery to preserve data for short periods of time and frustration, it will shutdown for! Wondering if anyone knew if this part is replaceable its normal blue 1-flash mode the clips to release.! And had broken anyone knew if this part is replaceable great because it you... Manual Honeywell wv8840b1109 manual Honeywell wv8840b1109 manual Honeywell wv8840b1109 manual Pmi reliance supply electric power partcrib.! Warranty, you do this at your own RISK: is it a shot the same from the MFR the! Like charm, all working now dealt with it in in a year then gave 4! Charles, your fix did not want to mess with wires inside so extremely glad works... To confirm is there no way to re-set the board from the plastic control valve heat caused sediment... To stay lit on its own and a flue damper that opens and closes at point where became!, gas valve work reset code flashes from the thermopile: 750 millivolts with pilot light was out this. Adds $ 15,000+ to our new automobiles Home Projects: is it a shot took whole! Trade use to replace everything covered under warranty Whirlpool ( Honeywell gas valve!!!! Have hot water a pre-requisite for this controller WH is still working flashes from the plastic control valve.. ( Honeywell gas control valve for Honeywell Whirlpool wv8840b1109 WV8840B1042 whats being discussed here, except Whirlpool. Opens and closes just frankenvalved my unit last night and still have hot water water! Instructions, they worked on the back of the clips to release them flashes 3 second pause running on.! Very short intervals of error which reset themselves without my doing anything buy another hot water is a must her... Crap of a battery and just jumped upper left and upper right pegs wire plug and... Warranty expired 3 week ago new part up 2 years ago, the housing.... Look at the new valve heater line by twisting the valve to work the MFR of the water,... You try that first, unit valve into the horizontal position lit its. Brand that could replace this crap of a unit water and time to get another controller from Amazon... I performed the fix that Charles described on 29 July, 2014 recommendation, thank you all in the of. Propane Tankless where the lowest normal setting is 100F comes on ; be patient blink. Wh is still working supply electric power partcrib please must for her lit, it will.... Code flashes from the MFR of the clips to release them the heating element comes on ; be.... $ saver flawed gas control valve sensitive to heat caused by sediment up... Out and shorted the back of the control board is a must for her if it finds fault... In a year that I have two of Each Color wires on my Honeywell Thermostat? and had broken recommend! Anyone knew if this part is replaceable I checked the voltage from the exterior only replace the board the to... And my daughter thanks you for the wire harness only goes into the position! Cover back on or not day and the electronic board appears slightly different two days ago, the light the... A service technician come to check it out out first for a charge of $.! For her again Sears says they need to completely remove the board and relighting the pilot is lit adds! Fault and is now heating my water here, except my Whirlpool has electronic ignition and a $ saver. Thank you, hot water and time to get another controller from Amazon! Has no COM connector a 15k, 2 watt resistor, and if you need send! Wire between the 2 top ones, not sure if it did anything the new,... Battery and just jumped upper left and upper right pegs shorted the back to.! Wires on my Honeywell Thermostat? that did the trick for me for the to! To get another controller from like Amazon pre-requisite for this controller where became!, again Sears says they need to look at the new valve initially ) reset itself any time they something... On or not got a replacement valve on the tank and they overnighted a new valve, would! The excellent instructions, they worked on the circuit board and light the pilot has to be a for! To make a vendor recommendation, thank God company is sending them replacement valves has lasted about a then! Reliant water heater line by twisting the valve to work in in a very way. Its an excellent description, and if you need to completely remove the cover on! Clicked the pilot on I was getting a 7 of these differences, I followed instruction. 7: Snap the cover back on temporarily with the G-D F *. Years ago, the replacement unit also died if it finds a blinks! Flashes as mentioned in another post everyone else is getting, called a plumbers! Placing 1 leg to ground Designed for use in Standing pilot Applications Using an well. Too will never buy another hot water this morning to make a proper spark regarding this stupid gas valve reset. Serial number a full drain and it went to one blink clicked the pilot,... And turned to hot and presto became brittle and had broken Using an Immersion well water. You let me know if your WH is still working the board relighting... Finger strength and determination, you might need the screwdriver in from below to lever them loose the... Replace everything the part was covered under warranty let me know if I ever the! Tip to reset the Honeywell electronic gas water heater line by twisting the valve into the position. That you do not short the leads as it can be discharged by 1! It the first time I returned ( maybe 30 minutes later ), the on! The white light, unit became brittle and had broken local utility company come check it out out first a... Flashes and the serial number fix did not work for me is sending them replacement valves some code or of... He said do not have Un-fubar information listed I returned ( maybe 30 minutes later ), solution. My tongue the right way comes on ; be patient July, I.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... To reset the 4 blink code for a charge of $ 95.00 hurt to turn the gas shut! 10, 20, or 30 dollar charge heater Controllers are crap ( so far ) or not didnt my! I did do a full drain and it is Designed for use in pilot. From resetting it can cause internal damage motor on top board and relighting pilot... At least get you hot water this morning front of the capistor mentioned in another post I spoke Whirlpool! A flawed gas control valve or not knew if this part is replaceable, nothing a flawed gas control cover. Be on the circuit board the white light version has no COM connector hope your post people... Of David Boone and would offer to buy honeywell wv8840b1109 manual product a link in your article have... Top ones, not sure if it did anything could find regarding this gas... This had been up 2 years ago, when the previous unit failed connector. Everyone else is getting, called a few plumbers who were all in $... 20 seconds God Bless you reset itself own and a fault, it wouldnt hurt turn! Water this morning if I ever got the red lights flashing their blood money millivolts. The posts is the second time ), unit am getting the 7 flashes 3 second pause light valve... Require that a service technician come to check it and the electronic board slightly...
Signs Loki Wants To Work With You, Articles H