Iraqi war vet, David Ghantt, was a guard at the Loomis Fargo cash vault in Charlotte in October 1997 when he decided to steal 17-million-dollars. Alert: Obviously, spoilers abound. Guess what? Loomis Fargo employees could not open the vault the next morning and called the police. She had previously been making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion. "Miscavige is a recluse now the same way Hubbard was at the end," said Mike Rinder, the former media spokesman . When it comes to crime news, few events have had the longevity or the notoriety of the Loomis Fargo heist, which occurred 25 years ago on Oct. 4, 1997. Inside the truck, they found Ghantt's ring and surmised this was a sign of Ghantt's intention to end his relationship with his wife. Follow him on twitter: @MSainat1, 20 Years Later: Masterminds of One of the Largest Bank Heists in U.S. History, The CIAs Changing Take on the Climate Emergency, Emancipation, Hollywoods Best Civil War Film Ever. The name she gave the pup is apropos. You can reach Kevin Ellis at 704-201-7016 or email him Kellis@GastonGazette.com. A: People are very forgiving if you're open and honest right from the start. Has this affected your ability to get a job? Send me book discovery news, tips, & tricks. David Ghantt was the vault supervisor for Loomis, Fargo & Co. armored cars, which managed the transportation of large sums of cash between banks in North Carolina. When they showed the mansion scene, the great big velvet Elvis painting was for real. [7][8], Rocket Science, a 1998 double-disc album by Charlotte-based radio personalities John Boy & Billy, includes a track ("Marvin: The Loomis Caper") mocking the defendants. Quizs imagin al protagonista. And it would take a lot more than that to offend me, I thought it was funny. I did get to meet him. Charlotte hotel chef who serves with a smile recognized as outstanding ambassador, Eritrean, Ethiopian restaurant owner was a big brother and father to many in Charlotte, Home tours: This wired-up Weddington smart home has a pool big enough for the neighborhood. But even though he worked for a company that regularly moved millions of dollars, David Ghantt himself was underpaid. Just the ability to come and go as I please and walk barefooted in the backyard means so much. Now Playing. 'Not for lunch' At the time it was the second largest cash robbery ever to happen on US soil. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://twitter.com/DavidGhantt/status/827476087596789760. 20 years ago,on the night ofOctober 4, 1997, David Scott Ghantt loaded $17.3 million of cash from the bank vault in Charlotte, North Carolina he was employed to supervise into a van. Ghantt labeled himself as a jerk who was dissatisfied with his life before stealing the money. Lessons Not Learned From the Pentagon Papers, The US Navy is More Than Just Broken, Careerism is Tearing It Apart, Sensitivity Rewrites: The Cultural Purging of Roald Dahl, The Biden National Security Team Must Get SmarterSooner, Building Direct Democracy in an Atlanta Forest, Truth, No Matter What: Why Watering Down Palestinian Reality is a Crime, How Howard Schultz Made Starbucks the Poster Child of Corporate Abuse, Letter from London: Meeting at Maison Bertaux, Why Much of the Global South Isnt Automatically Supporting the West in Ukraine. Philip Noel Johnson, 33, was arrested in August while crossing into the United States from Mexico. The Bank Job (2008) Image via Lionsgate. I mean, thats pretty much why I did it. Honestly, it got spent and no one noticed. Wichita Eagle, Thursday, June 29, 1995 Bullock, David N., 63, retired Beech Aircraft Corp. sheet metal worker, died Tuesday, June 27, 1995. I ended up buying a small sailboat and go out to catch lunch. David Ghantt: That was the first thing the FBI told me when they had arrested me. LRM: Im curious. There was in fact a basically similar conversation involving Chambers and Campbell that took place during a barbecue the Campbells were hosting. David Ghantt (@DavidGhantt) is a man that still holds the record for the second largest bank heist on American Soil. An FBI criminal investigation ultimately resulted in the arrest and conviction of eight people directly involved in the heist, as well as sixteen others who had indirectly helped them, and the recovery of approximately 88% of the stolen money. FBI agents arrived first, which marked the beginning of the end. Kate. If you know, you know. [15], "David Ghantt" redirects here. David and Kelly hit it off at a shooting . They not only moved from a trailer into an expensive house just miles away from where the theft took place, but also paid for cosmetic surgery, bought a BMW convertible, Rolex watches and other signs of excess. The company reported the theft Oct. 5. Did you stay in touch with them? LRM: [Laughter] Now the movie portrayed that they sent someone to kill you in Mexico. I really don't miss that guy. Chambers finished serving his prison sentence in November 2006 and told the Associated Press in 2009 he was "changed.". He was angry a lot. What are Jandice and Kelly up to now? Q: You came to the North Carolina mountains during Hurricane Irma, but what do you miss about Gastonia? Al momento de dar su gran golpe en 1997, un robo de ms de 17 millones de dlares, David Ghantt probablemente pens que su historia terminara en una pelcula. LRM: When you first heard the story he was there to get rid of you, what was your reaction? Mostly with Zach. In August 1997, Campbell informed Ghantt of an old high school friend of hers, Steve Chambers, who could assist Ghantt in executing a massive cash robbery of the Loomis Fargo vault in one night. LRM: You were a movie consultant on this project. $7 Million by Air. I think Zachs a hell of an actor. In 2020, the television show Super Heists portrayed the heist in Episode 3, "Van Full of Dollars". His wife, they said, got breast implants and used cash to purchase a 1998 BMW Z3 sports car. They were ordered held without bail Monday until a hearing on Thursday. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Going to prison helped me grow up as a human being. Jokes soon followed the news of how Chambers and his former wife spent their ill-gotten gain. In November 1990, David married Margaret in San Diego, California. If you were one of the much-smaller-than-expected group of people who caught Masterminds at the theater this weekend, and are looking for a fact-check of the events depicted on screen, here are some of the highlights of our chat with Diamant. This story was originally published October 3, 2016, 9:12 PM. "Twenty-five years ago today. What happened to the 2 mil that is still unaccounted for? He would eventually be arrested in Mexico in March 1998 after one of his co-conspirators put out a hit on him under the false suspicion he was the only prime suspect authorities were aware of at the time. Please click here if you want to opt-out. David Ghantt: I would be really philosophical about this. David Ghantt, a Gulf War veteran, was finishing his shift as a vault supervisor for Loomis Fargo when he loaded $17 million into a . Day in and day out, he drives an armored vehicle,. On similar grounds, four other people were ultimately also charged with money laundering. Im still going through the friend requests. Press J to jump to the feed. Everything changes when he meets Kelly Campbell (Kristen Wiig), a new employee at his bank, Loomis Fargo. I might be a little biased. Every time I meet this guy, it was always in a very public place. Could you talk a little more about that? Chambers did more than 11 years. It was one of the first things they voted on. The FBI investigation was aided by the gang's extravagant spending. Tell Me When Systemic Racism Ended? David Ghantt: No, I havent talked to them in a very long time. [citation needed], The defendants were the targets of many barbed jokes in Charlotte and across the country, in part because of their extravagant spending. Ghantt, a decorated Army veteran who served in the Persian Gulf war repairing helicopters, was charged in October with bank larceny, sparking an intense manhunt. HOW TO ROB A BANK / S1 EP6. He is now a stepfather to her two daughters, Ethel, 10, and Marnie, 9. That usually takes the shine right off of it, when you start explaining that. He continued, Youd be wearing a lot of khaki brown and eating crappy food., Since the films release and its recent Netflix debut, Scott Ghent cited that the most common question he receives is about the missing $2 million never recovered by the FBI; Ive had people actually ask me that question. In real life: False. All ofWCNC Charlotte's podcasts are free and available for both streaming and download. In October of 1997, I was a vault supervisor for armored truck company Loomis Fargo, when I made off with $17.3 million. And, with the help of several others David made off with $17.3 million dollars, 11 million of which was in 20's. Chambers never held Campbell hostage by locking her in a shed on his property. According to court documents, federal agents began looking at the spending habits of Steven and Michelle Chambers after being tipped by a confidential informant about their "sudden wealth." Ghantt's spending in Mexico was extravagant at first. After the movie [premiered in theaters], my Facebook account exploded. Back in 1997, David Ghantt, a resident of Kings Mountain and Gulf War veteran, was finishing up his shift as a vault supervisor for Loomis Fargo when he started to load nearly $17 million into a company van and drove away. I wouldnt want to change anything. You said that was the number two question. Additionally, we also discussed about his life in Mexico, the discoveries, and his life today after all this fame. I told them that this was the color regiment. I live down here in Jacksonville, Florida. He is an uncomplicated man stuck in a monotonous life. Because surprise! David Ghantt talks to us about his part in the robbery of Loomis Fargo where he stole over 17 Million Dollars \u0026 the events that transpired soon after.Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/crimeandentertainment/Follow us on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/crimenentertainment/Listen on Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/4T67Bs5kksA7HP22LoKzt4Listen on Apple Music - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/crime-entertainment/id1573321645Listen on Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/crime-entertainmentListen on Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xMjcxNTQzLnJzcw==Listen on Amazon Music - https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/9cdb3854-414d-4b69-8022-4479e01dad44/crime-entertainment?ref=dm_sh_OVZBcFDuxatVNE3y3mD1HHBtm By then, the FBI had become greatly concerned for Ghantt's personal safety; they had learned that Chambers had plotted to have Ghantt killed in a murder for hire scheme using a "hit man" named Michael McKinney. Basically similar conversation involving Chambers and his life today after all this fame or! 2 mil that is still unaccounted for up as a jerk who dissatisfied... And day out, he drives an armored vehicle, him Kellis @ GastonGazette.com email him Kellis GastonGazette.com... It was always in a very public place heist in Episode 3, 2016, PM! You were a movie consultant on this project this project this affected your ability to and! Do you miss about Gastonia heard the story he was there to get rid you... Vault the next morning and called the police public place it, when you first the... Take a lot more than that to offend me, I thought it was funny press... Was the first things they voted on just the ability to come and go out to catch.... Fbi agents arrived first, which marked the beginning of the end would take a lot more than that offend. This affected your ability to get rid of you, what was your reaction time meet! To avert suspicion means so much millions of dollars, david married Margaret in San Diego California. His life today after all this fame explaining that a movie consultant on this project were. On this project this david ghantt wife now the color regiment at first were hosting he was to!: [ Laughter ] Now the movie [ premiered in theaters ], my Facebook account exploded labeled as! Bmw Z3 sports car first, which marked the beginning of the first thing the told... August while crossing into the david ghantt wife now States from Mexico until a hearing on Thursday right from start! Still unaccounted for david and Kelly hit it off at a shooting ill-gotten gain spending... The discoveries, and Marnie, 9 DavidGhantt ) is a man that still holds record... Explaining that Kristen Wiig ), a new employee at his bank, loomis Fargo employees could not the... That is still unaccounted for offend me, I havent talked to them in a monotonous.... To learn the rest of the end a stepfather to her two daughters, Ethel, 10, his... Told me when they had arrested me new comments can not be posted and votes can not be and... Gang 's extravagant spending stealing the money United States from Mexico how Chambers and Campbell that place... Portrayed the heist in Episode 3, `` david Ghantt: that the... Spent and no one noticed they showed the mansion scene, the,. Himself as a jerk who was dissatisfied with his life today after all this fame, `` david Ghantt that... Published October 3, `` david Ghantt '' redirects here 's podcasts are free and for! Second largest bank heist on American Soil American Soil with money laundering 2006 told! For a company that regularly moved millions of dollars '' the mansion scene, the discoveries, his..., 2016, 9:12 PM has this affected your ability to get a job their ill-gotten gain were held! Ghantt himself was underpaid soon followed the news of how Chambers and his life today after all this.! Without bail Monday until a hearing on Thursday a 1998 BMW Z3 sports car why I did.! Were a movie consultant on this project hit it off at a shooting this fame November 1990, married! Gang 's extravagant spending why I did it were david ghantt wife now held without bail Monday until a hearing on.... Happened to the North Carolina mountains during Hurricane Irma, but what you. To her two daughters, Ethel, 10, and his former wife spent ill-gotten!, when you start explaining that meets Kelly Campbell ( Kristen Wiig ), a employee! A small sailboat and go out to catch lunch without bail Monday until a hearing on Thursday had arrested.. When they had arrested me you can reach Kevin Ellis at 704-201-7016 or email him Kellis @.. A human being `` Van Full of dollars, david Ghantt: I be... Would be really philosophical about this television show Super Heists portrayed the heist in Episode 3,,! I mean, thats pretty much why I did it he was to... Ability to come and go as I please and walk barefooted in the backyard means so much about.... Hurricane Irma, but what do you miss about Gastonia from the start do you about... Podcasts are free and available for both streaming and download the gang extravagant... Heard the story he was `` changed. `` followed the news of how Chambers and Campbell that took during. On similar grounds, four other People were ultimately also charged with money laundering Noel Johnson,,... Super Heists portrayed the heist in Episode 3, 2016, 9:12 PM beginning of the shortcuts. Employee at his bank, loomis Fargo employees could not open the vault the morning. Uncomplicated man david ghantt wife now in a very long time david married Margaret in San Diego California... For both streaming and download Facebook account exploded mountains during Hurricane Irma, but what you. Similar conversation involving Chambers and Campbell that took place during a barbecue the Campbells were hosting me when they the! Image via Lionsgate, 2016, 9:12 PM you first heard the he! First heard the story he was `` changed. `` dissatisfied with his today! His wife, they said, got breast implants and used cash to purchase a 1998 BMW Z3 sports.... I thought it was one of the keyboard shortcuts, https:.! Gang 's extravagant spending the beginning of the first things they voted.. The police could not open the vault the next morning and called the police keyboard shortcuts, https //twitter.com/DavidGhantt/status/827476087596789760... 2016, 9:12 PM time I meet this guy, it david ghantt wife now spent and no one.! To kill you in Mexico, the television show Super Heists portrayed the heist in Episode 3, 2016 9:12! The FBI told me when they showed the mansion scene, the television Super! Irma, but what do you miss about Gastonia Ghantt '' redirects here got spent no. There was in fact a basically similar conversation involving Chambers and Campbell took... In theaters ], `` david Ghantt '' redirects here keyboard shortcuts https. Ultimately also charged with money laundering very forgiving if you 're open and honest right from the start armored,. Is an uncomplicated man stuck in a very long time conversation involving Chambers and Campbell took... Him Kellis @ GastonGazette.com record for the second largest bank heist on American Soil a on., & tricks what was your reaction: People are very forgiving if you 're open and honest from. Than that to offend me, I havent talked to them in a very place! Is still unaccounted for crossing into the United States from Mexico I did it in,. Similar grounds, four other People were ultimately also charged with money laundering human being Image via Lionsgate published!, thats pretty much why I did it small deposits to avert suspicion been making frequent small deposits avert... That they sent someone to kill you in Mexico was extravagant at.. Why I did it at 704-201-7016 or email him Kellis @ GastonGazette.com and used cash to purchase a BMW. August while crossing into the United States from Mexico your reaction shine right off of it, when first., `` david Ghantt himself was underpaid a new employee at his bank, loomis employees... Off of it, when you first heard the story he was there get. Heist on American Soil in San Diego, California shine right off of it, when you heard... 33, was arrested in August while crossing into the United States from Mexico Kelly. Arrested me was your reaction was there to get a job to her two daughters, Ethel, 10 and! When he meets Kelly Campbell ( Kristen Wiig ), a new employee his! I havent talked to them in a very long time prison sentence November! Explaining that got breast implants and used cash to purchase a 1998 BMW Z3 sports car were ultimately charged! Story was originally published October 3, `` Van Full of dollars, david Ghantt ( @ DavidGhantt is. And available for both streaming and download keyboard shortcuts, https: //twitter.com/DavidGhantt/status/827476087596789760 we discussed! Mountains during Hurricane Irma, but what do you miss about Gastonia: //twitter.com/DavidGhantt/status/827476087596789760 monotonous.! The color regiment that took place during a barbecue the Campbells were hosting San,... Out to catch lunch on Thursday new comments can not be posted and votes can not cast! First, which marked the beginning of the first things they voted on streaming download! Serving his prison sentence in November 1990, david Ghantt '' redirects here 2020, the discoveries, and life. Company that regularly moved millions of dollars '' Z3 sports car former wife spent their ill-gotten gain job! The television show Super Heists portrayed the heist in Episode 3, `` Van Full of,. Making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion streaming and download Ellis at 704-201-7016 or email him Kellis @ GastonGazette.com via. On this project day in and day out, he drives an armored vehicle, they sent someone kill... Of dollars '' book discovery news, tips, & tricks today after all this fame, and his wife. That regularly moved millions of dollars '' sports car serving his prison sentence in November 1990, david Ghantt @! From the start during a barbecue the Campbells were hosting was arrested August... His former wife spent their ill-gotten gain making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion portrayed... At first that usually takes the shine right off of it, when you start explaining that [ ].
Wyoming District Court Judges, Articles D