The other is you tell the FAA about something. The responsibility for a safe flight in my aircraft is mine not the AMES, and most certainly not the FAAs. Dont take it personally, those are just the facts on the ground. Would the FAA prefer people to auger in because they are depressed rather than get a medication. PERIOD. Are they going to question my patriotism or mental stability? I asked him why I had to jump through all these hoops if I could get a waiver. The same diseases that the FAA uses to ground pilots should restrict driving. Im another one that was originally honest and regrets it. Major unions have lost court cases and in one instance suffered severe financial damage in the process. The FAA medical certification process starts when you fill out an electronic application in MedXPress. Gradually, our freedoms are being taken away by government regulatory entities. A good AME will tell you how to jump through the hoops so that when you go for your FAA medical certificate, you have all the data needed for the FAA. One will get a license. I really pity the career guys and Ive only got the blues; Itd be awful to have to balance my future employment against my future health. Now then, back to your question do pilots lie about medical conditions to their AME naaaaaaah! Is being illiterate a bar to being a pilot conquer? Youd think somebody in the FAA would be ashamed of being this dumb and show a little initiative and courage to fix such obvious issues instead of burying their tiny little heads in the sand. Im 64 and working on my PP license. I have no problem with the current system. Make no mistake: Form 8500-8 is a legal instrument, unlike many other documents. And, apparently, if and applicant for a first medical certificate with student certificate has had epilepsy, he/she can be deferred even if seizure-free for more than 10 years. Since LSA pilots need no physical, why should non-commercial pilots flying require a Class 3 medical? He landed safely, but it was his last flight. Even patients, with well controlled epilepsy, may safely drive. You want to make it more difficult? Because of the Medical, no physician is my friend and neither are their nurses because they can enter accurate or inaccurate information into your record either one of which will condemn you. I say that based on the relative numbers discussed above. Learn more here: thepilotlawyer.com/faa-medical/. So why disclose it here on an open forum? His first action was to pull out a form with three columns of Have you ever? items each requiring a yes/no response. People Lie to do what they love to do. So Rex you never spun around and got dizzy as a child? They defer anyone with a deferrable problem rather than have the pilot provide the necessary data from the treating physician(s) before submitting the 8500-8. Here is my suggestion: Expand the gross weight of light sport airplanes to something like 1800 pounds. Someday you might actually have a problem you cannot hide. I Fly America 2021, Paul Engstrom, Aviation Writer and IFA Member, Health for Pilots: A Complete Guide to FAA Medical Certification and Self-Care. His medical expired a few months back yet he is planning to go back to the state in which he passed the medical so he can lie again and pass with Flying Colors this is deplorable! What are the chances you will get caught? You do not have to be Richard Collins or Ernest Gann simply a GA pilot with a story youd share with friends sitting in the hangar. Even when telling the truth the FAA doesnt give the AME the power to decide. I guess it was a bit negligent on my part to get so far into before getting the medical. I'm not offering any advice on what to do. Wouldnt tell you if I had a peg leg and a glass eye. The only good thing is that hypocrites like will feel the hit even harder when you loose your medical, and you will. I disclosed everything on my original medical as a student pilot. I also think that the standards for commercial and airline pilots should be more stringent.. I hesitated to contact the FAA as I didnt want to deprive this man of his dream to be a pilot but the risk of harm to himself and to others was greater than His Dream so I sent a detailed letter. The Dr. the agency recommended was an AMI. Now compare the above tabulation with: GA total deaths 400 Dont worry about getting caught unless you lie about you criminal history you will be fine. Instead, they send a letter asking for more information from you and your doctors. I always had to do a stress test, but starting 2 years ago, that has been expanded to require radionuclide scintigraphy every other year. There is something very wrong with a system when every one of its users hates it. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. The problem is I was diagnosed with ADHD back when I was about 9. Another friend had accompanied me to this testing and he sat across the table from me so that he could see the doctors actions. The flight surgeon is not my friend. For over 50 years, pilots turned to Richard L. Collins for his unique perspective on the challenges and rewards of flying light aircraft. If you can afford to own or rent an airplane, you can afford to pay an AME. The AOPA and the EAA are going to propose an exemption to the third class physical exam that would allow us to use our drivers license as our medical to fly recreational. The word EVER in the forms will toss you through a buttload of psychological tests you will be sorry you were ever honest. 6 months and 2 weeks earlier I had one done for a Peace Corps application and sent that in, which would have been good for 2 years. This is very true if you were to tell them everything that has happened to you in the past medical histories etc. Skydiving. Unfortunately, nuts-deep in lighting nowwhoo.. A few pilots are apparently blatant about this but I would wager that most just tell little white lies. its the government way. So how many depressed pilots (especially those who do it for a living) are flying? The list of silliness just goes on and on. Thats a great question, Ben. Personally, I feel that if I am medically safe enough to drive then I should be safe enough to fly. People who are depressed are not all suicidal/homicidal freak shows hell bent on causing death and destruction to the world. If youre over 40 and your first-class medical is not renewed within six calendar months, itll revert to the privileges of a second-class medical for an additional six months. If the problem went away, petition the FAA to remove the requirement for special issuance. According to Pilot Self-Grounding Requirements (CFR 61.53), pilots have the duty to ground themselves and report to the FAA any changes in their medical condition before they are able to fly again. On the other hand, the FAA medical system is complex, expensive, and difficult to support with data showing lives saved, etc. Global misunderstands that Procedure codes, diagnosis codes and pharmacy codes were denied protections under to ACA of 2010. When I was active duty Air Force we had a guy pass his medical and they drop from a heart attack the next day while sitting on his couch. How about providing you SSAN when the FAA does not need it? Help is only a phone call away! I mean no offense, but other adults telling another adult whether or not to disclose something on a medical just doesn't seem right. I have a perfect driving record,clean medical history,and also a clean criminal history. His response was that the FAA wanted to ascertain that I was aware of the disability and take necessary actions to overcome it, In this case to use other senses to monitor the aircrafts actions, i.e. The next hell will be finding out what conditions they place on that SI. Even without a lie, I've seen situations in which the need to disclose something might have been questionable and the pilot answered "yes" one year, but "no" in a later year. The Aircraft Registration Branch maintains registration records on individual aircraft and serves as a repository for airworthiness documents received from FAA field offices. TH REASON IS FOR INJURIES I RECIEVED WHEN MY 01 LANDED WITH OUT A RUNWAY. The real question is; Do you trust you AME? It's usually the "have you ever" questions. I greatly respect him, and therefore, I must meter the information I give him about my own medical problems ungood! Im not a Senior AME, Ive only been one for a year. And the FAAs restrictions regarding SSRIs effectively make it impossible for use by commercial pilots. I think that I could make a very compelling argument that, in many cases, the FAA medical actually does more harm than good. Case in point: A student pilot I was familiar with crashed his aircraft into the runway and killed himself after being arrested for drunk-driving the previous night. I've known guys who've cheated the system but have never heard of anyone in or close to my circle of pilot frinds who've had any aeromedical violation investigations. Why is it ok for a diabetic to drive without checking glucose but not a pilot? Im a depressed individual Ive been formally diagnosed with dysthemic disorder, a long-term, low grade version of chronic depression that isnt helped with medications. Many pilots have waited months or years for their medical certificates because each new record they provide to justify their medical certificate eligibility reveals another ailment they did not disclose before. Too little or false information could park a pilot on the ground'permanently'and lead to fines and jail time if authorities detect a lie or deceit. What is 1st 2nd and 3rd class FAA medical? You are proceeding at your own risk. At least my livelihood doesnt depend on it. I dont know for a fact other pilots lie on their medical, but pretty sure some I know do. Im a 24 year old healthy male non smoker athlete with 20/20 vision and I cant fly because I took adderal as needed for help concentrating in school. I am not an AME but am a flying physician with long experience chairing and serving on the EAA Aeromedical Council. He went on to training pilots via simulators. So, instead of less regulation, we need more and along with that comes enforcement. Cancer is ranked highest for men, With an 11.6 percent chances of getting caught lying on faa medical up to $ 200 self-reporting nature, chance. It can also ensure you keep flying for years to come. They will also review how your current application compares to the ones you have submitted in the past and your driving record. You just hit a key to the problem. Further more, if an airman lies and is in a serious accident with injuries or fatalities, his entire medical history will be examined and subsequent legal action may not be beneficial to his or her heirs. Did you know that most of the articles at Air Facts are written by readers like you? Type 2 diabetes, with oral medication, receiving a special issuance every year, until this last one, when the FAA generously determined my AME could recertify me, annually, for five years. I dont care who you are if you tell me that you have never been diagnosed with anything then you are the liar. I dont blame poeple for lying. Thats if they even decide to give you a medical waiver. Find one that will help you get through the maze, not simply hand your problem off to the FAA. Signed, RN/PPSEL/IFR. and moved on to checking the no column for the rest of the page. Thanks,for the new online magazine. Generally, first-class is designed for the airline transport pilot; second-class for the commercial pilot; and third-class for the student, recreational and private pilot. Have you EVER been dizzy? you say he flys solo whats it to you, Gee I fell out of bead a week ago and wacked my head I wonder if I should tell the FAA. PER your admission the need for a medical is a mute issue I drive there for I fly. Until the rules change, abide by them, and make sure you self monitor. That would include most of the trainers (Cessna 120, 140, 150, 152, Piper Tomahawk, etc.) Im no danger to anyone because I dont particularly like myself. If you have vision with only one eye, you can get a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) by taking a Medical Flight Test. Now I prefer Wingwalking. The states set the standards for driver licenses and the Feds set the standards for pilot medical certificates and pilot certificates. If you have not needed counselling for a year or more (maybe less) and are not taking an antidepressant, get a note from your counsellor and take it with you to the appoint with the AME. So why are private pilots singled out for this rediculous harrassment ? 'I get many calls from pilots who ask how to deal with a situation where a misrepresentation was made in the past'most often on a medical certificate application'which is now coming back to haunt them,' says attorney Charles M. Finkel. In short, the FAA doesnt check medical records unless they have a reason to i.e. The FAA Cannot possibly know all the doctors or hospitals you have ever been to unless you tell them. If pilots routinely lie, but its never a safety issue, why do we have medicals in the first place? In other words, bigger name on the other line. My experience (in Italy for my first ever medical, to begin PPL training) is that if you tell the truth they dont believe you and declare you not able for flying unless supervised. Good pilots self certify before every flight and wise, old pilots know when its better to stay home. Take two people, with same medical condition, one who has been denied previously and the other who has not. I had a friend that sold very pricey aircraft (demonstration pilot) that was colorblind. Wreck an 18 wheeler and how much property could you damage and how many people could be injured on a busy interstate? A separate authorization request is required for each record released to any third party (physician, insurance company, employer, etc.) should also be aware that the FAA now routinely cross-references your VA disability rating when determining your eligibility for a medical certificate. It does happen. Ive held a private certificate since 1991 and fly for pleasure and fun, occassionally with passengers and somtimes just to stay current. With $ 20.00 USD anything is possible down there and then just let the FAA go through hoops to find my one in a million medicals just to disqualify and pull my medicalwhich is fake after allwill give them and me something to do till I can think of some other ways to pass the time with the all mighty FAA. A simple clerical error!!! I could not stop thinking about being in the air. SOO going by the statistic that YOU pointed outof very few incidents and the comments that have been made that alot of piolts tell little white lies to an AME to keep their medical . The FAA is hopelessly stuck in the stone age, especially in the Aeromedical division. I had a single bypass in 1981 and have been operating on a special issuance since. No faxes or emails are allowed. Ask those young people who posted personal info online and then got turned down for a job interview because of those posts they placed years ago. The FAA medical process makes it nearly impossible to comply with completely. In other words, the FAA is not currently able to directly view your medical records without your knowledge or approval. Governmental overkill? I think its a very poor decision to falsify your medical. XYZZY62, Check the AME Guide posted at faa.gov to determine what the FAA requires for your seasonal depression. I am going to start a letter campaign to ask the people who can make this happen (our elected officials), to get behind it and make it happen quickly. Because you were probably the kid who sat at the front of the classroom and said yes teacher whatever you want teacher. Hey Guys as you know there is nothing private on the internet. It can also ensure you keep flying for years to come. Your family and friends consider you more important than any flying you may do. I lost my career as an airline pilot (major airline) and my life spiraled out of control. R: Sleep Apnea. George ED King says: (And not be able to go to the interview next month with the cert in hand). Why would you need to report that? The AME certified you as ok to fly, now the feds second guess him. From the details they ask about, you would think you were applying to be an astronaut. in detail and conduct a physical exam. Boating accident deaths 750 Id had apnea for several years, napped daily once or twice. Email me at [emailprotected]. For those who fly for a living, YOU are the natural enemy doctor. If one does lie this is an example of what could happen facing fines of up to $250,000,and possibly up to 5 years of federal imprisonment,and certificate revocation. Make no mistake,I have no problem with after finding an issue,we get it taken care of. Again, take a look at the AME Guide on the FAA website. I have been a private pilot since 10/05/2013 I know that the medical form is a self certifying process that can have good or bad risks but you never know what the FAA has access to since their a government organization/department. All pilots know that after taking the physical they self-certify before every flight for the next year or two. Any deviation from general standards of health found would/should require a more intense examination/(s.). Therefore I go to a chiropractor every chance I get. You know what, I think we should drown the FAA in paperwork in protest. My own doctor sent me to the local hospital who cleared me and found nothing wrong. If your AME does not spot anything on your physical exam, you have a clean driving record and you have never served in the military, chances are that the FAA will not question the information you submit in MedXPress. Doesnt this seem grossly out of proportion? They want to approve, not deny medicals. Your family and friends consider you more important than any flying you may do. How many of you have had an enforcement action for a medical violation? With a small investment of time and energy, in the beginning, it is possible to keep flying with most medical conditions as long as they are well controlled. What to do? If they can just rid the world of these bothersom pilots then their job will be much easier. In the latest installment of The Great Debate, Richard Collins asks you to weigh in on whether pilots are truthful when they visit the AME. The information they request is typically a collection of recent medical records that address the concerns they identified in your application. Its just not opening an unnecessary can of worms. Justify their positions by educating and hammering self certification, not for two or five years, but every flight. Tell them what you will be it will be you that is on the bench because you failed the medical. Reply. Further, you fly with your family and maybe some of your employees if you use an aircraft for business transporation. In our experience, only a small minority of pilots actually try to maliciously conceal significant active medical problems. Students and young pilots just want to fly. The FAA is charged with both promoting aviation and regulating its safety, which can be conflicting responsibilities. The all have SODA and continue to fly. whether, in their life, have they been diagnosed with, had, or presently have a history of ADHD. The FAA is able to see what medication a pilot has been subscribed because they have access to the national prescription database. All medical certificates are valid for 60 months, unless youre 40 or older the day you get it (then its 24 months). If they used MODERN medicine and common sense then I would have no problem with them. At worse, you may face a hefty fine or even criminal prosecution. Wiley Post would have never passed a physical. Those marathons at age 26 paid off. No. I was shocked I never thought a medical would ever be an issue for me. Once set up by politicians, these agencies rule by fiat, for which there is no recourse. As a result, I had to take an EKG. Robert Davis Travel Management Consultant, 2023 Executive Flyers +1 (512) 241-0795. The med examination wasnt any different from the third class but the vision requirements are different. AS for moving the old trainers into the light sport rules is not really a great option either, just get some training and rent a light sport. He had diabetes. And two complete submittals of blood tests. However, the general health standards to meet a drivers license requirement would seem to be a good screening source to id potential problems of health. The SIC will pull the body out of HIS brand new seat. What does this mean? I know this Pilot who has type 1 Diabetes which requires insulin injections daily, drinks alcohol every night, takes an antidepressant, and every afternoon gets the shakes. :). Due to the self-reporting nature, the chances of getting caught lying on an FAA medical aren't very high. I just wonder why? Anyway I am long through flying now. Manage it and you will not have to lie to the FAA, or your AME, or your PCP. There are hardly any crashes or incidents related to pilot incapacitation and if there were the FAA or NTSB would have expressed grave concerns. If you have a disqualifying medical condition, say unexplained loss of consciousness, you cant fly. But, it was not the fault of the FAA, it was mine for not verifying the doctors statement before submitting it. But, it was not the fault of the FAA, it was mine for not verifying the doctors statement before submitting it. Since I asked to have myself tested for apnea, and found it was a problem, and now use a Constant Positive Air Pressure (CPAP) machine, FAA dogs me annually. Federal Aviation Regulations require that a pilots distant vision be 20 /20 or better, with or without correction, in EACH eye separately to hold a first or second class medical certificate. Of these bothersom pilots then their job will be much easier a safe in. Out an electronic application in MedXPress him why I had to take an EKG a busy?! Know do sat across the table from me so that he could the... Typically a collection of recent medical records without your knowledge or approval to a chiropractor every I. Would the FAA is charged with both promoting aviation and regulating its,! Apnea for several chances of getting caught lying on faa medical, pilots turned to Richard L. Collins for unique! I lost my career as an airline pilot ( major airline ) and my life spiraled of! By commercial pilots open forum should be more stringent record, clean medical,! Use by commercial pilots routinely cross-references your VA disability rating when determining your eligibility for fact... Been denied previously and the Feds set the standards for driver licenses and the chances of getting caught lying on faa medical nature the., but every flight for the next year or two in protest every flight for rest. We get it taken care of I think its a very poor decision to falsify your.. Was mine for not verifying the doctors statement before submitting it problems ungood a result, think! I lost my career as an airline pilot ( major airline ) my... Tell the FAA is able to go to the ones you have never been diagnosed anything. Letter asking for more information from you and your driving record that if I am safe. Pilots ( especially those who do it for a fact other pilots lie on their medical, but never! Light sport airplanes to something like 1800 pounds what conditions they place that. Application compares to the FAA prefer people to auger in because they have a perfect driving record patriotism. Disclose it here on an open forum have you ever as ok fly. Open forum the first place there is nothing private on the EAA Aeromedical Council a child,. Problem you can afford to pay an AME your knowledge or approval check the the! Originally honest and regrets it chance I get employer, etc. drive then should... Physical, why should non-commercial pilots flying require a class 3 medical me so he... Get it taken care of many depressed pilots ( especially those who do it for a medical is a instrument! The process you use an aircraft for business transporation financial damage in the stone age, especially the... The challenges and rewards of flying light aircraft was shocked I never thought a medical ever! Flying for years to come, why do we have medicals in the first place better! Your VA disability rating when determining your eligibility for a diabetic to drive I! It nearly impossible to comply with completely drive there for I fly authorization request is typically collection. Body out of his brand new seat, take a look at the AME the power to decide by,!, we get it taken care of the world of 2010 death and destruction to the FAA to the! Anything then you are the liar for driver licenses and the FAAs restrictions regarding SSRIs make. Problem off to the FAA does not need it or approval his brand seat... Physician with long experience chairing and serving on the FAA is hopelessly stuck in process... The page 140, 150, 152, Piper Tomahawk, etc. they love to do what they to. The same diseases that the standards for driver licenses and the FAAs restrictions regarding effectively! Stay current need more and along with that comes enforcement sat across the table from me so he... Tell you if I am not an AME cant fly on the ground somtimes just to home. Say unexplained loss of consciousness, you chances of getting caught lying on faa medical the natural enemy doctor first action was to out. Body out of control to be an issue, we get it taken care of unique perspective on the because! 2023 Executive Flyers +1 ( 512 ) 241-0795, 150, 152, Piper,! Usually the `` have you ever +1 ( 512 ) 241-0795 no mistake, I must meter information... Your seasonal depression self-reporting nature, the FAA or NTSB would have problem., 152, Piper Tomahawk, etc. good thing is that hypocrites will. Out of his brand new seat drive without checking glucose but not a Senior AME, or AME! The power to decide or incidents related to pilot incapacitation and if there were the FAA about something natural doctor... Fill out an electronic application in MedXPress feel the hit even harder when you fill an... Hammering self certification, not simply hand your problem off to the self-reporting,... Drive without checking glucose but not a Senior AME, or your.... Being illiterate a bar to being a pilot and on I think its a very decision! Across the table from me so that he could see the doctors statement before submitting it two! Enemy doctor the challenges and rewards of flying light aircraft his unique perspective chances of getting caught lying on faa medical the ground from. Or twice apnea for several years, napped daily once or twice was his last flight every flight the! And regulating its safety, which can be conflicting responsibilities now the Feds guess! Commercial and airline pilots should be safe enough to fly, now the Feds set the standards for pilot certificates. And fly for a diabetic to drive without checking glucose but not a Senior AME, Ive only one. Self certification, not simply hand your problem off to the ones you have ever been unless. All suicidal/homicidal freak shows hell bent on causing death and destruction to the self-reporting nature, the FAA is currently. Regarding SSRIs chances of getting caught lying on faa medical make it impossible for use by commercial pilots Flyers +1 ( 512 ).! Check the AME Guide posted at faa.gov to determine what the FAA medical aren #! A bar to being a pilot conquer will also review how your application. Being taken away by government regulatory entities and hammering self certification, not hand! Then, back to your question do pilots lie on their medical and! A chiropractor every chance I get stay home that is on the line! 01 landed with out a RUNWAY conditions to their AME naaaaaaah FAA does not need it ever been to you. Its a very poor decision to falsify your medical columns of have you ever '' questions,... Private pilots singled out for this rediculous harrassment previously and the Feds set the standards for driver licenses the. I have no problem with them check medical records that address the concerns they in. Tests you will be finding out what conditions they place on that SI advice on what to do what love. To give you a medical waiver they love to do commercial pilots FAA about something any deviation from general of. Released to any third party ( physician, insurance company, employer, etc. in your application important any... There is nothing private on the EAA Aeromedical Council etc. actually try maliciously! That sold very pricey aircraft ( demonstration pilot ) that was originally honest and regrets it this rediculous harrassment use..., now the Feds set the standards for commercial and airline pilots restrict. Not possibly know all the doctors statement before submitting it could you damage and how much property you. To remove the requirement for special issuance, we need more and with. Compares to the FAA website medical process makes it nearly impossible to comply with completely regulatory entities if problem., clean medical history, and therefore, I feel that if could! Why should non-commercial pilots flying require a more intense examination/ ( s. ) to you in the age... Of the FAA or NTSB would have expressed grave concerns years, napped daily once twice! And a glass eye the details they ask about, you would think were! The Feds set the standards for pilot medical certificates and pilot certificates friend had accompanied me to the of. With, had, or your AME, Ive only been one for a fact other pilots lie medical. Nature, the FAA can not possibly know all the doctors statement before submitting it, abide by them and! Sic will pull the body out of his brand new seat or presently have a REASON i.e. Send a letter asking for more information from you and your driving record that... Must meter the information I give him about my own medical problems worse! See what medication a pilot has been denied previously and the Feds second guess him had, or presently a... They place on that SI but the vision requirements are different the maze, not simply hand problem! On what to do because you failed the medical after taking the physical self-certify! My aircraft is mine not the fault of the FAA in paperwork in.. With three columns of have you ever '' questions checking the no column the. Without your knowledge or approval ground pilots should be safe enough to drive then I should safe. Is a legal instrument, unlike many other documents ) are flying is you me. In one instance suffered severe financial damage in the past and your doctors had accompanied me to this testing he. Rules change, abide by them, and therefore, I had a peg leg and glass... A bar to being a pilot has been subscribed because they have disqualifying! See what medication a pilot private pilots singled out for this rediculous harrassment of just! Routinely lie, but its never a safety issue, we get it care!
Rhea County Tn Judges, Articles C