Abandoned buildings exist throughout the palmetto state, in cities such as Columbia, Charleston and North Charleston. South Carolinas ghost towns can be divided into two groups. Winner will be selected at random on 04/01/2023. Consider supporting our work by becoming a member for as little as $5 a month. Id really like to check it out before going into basic training in March, but Id only want to go with someone whos expierienced and been there before. Its existence is entirely off of the map. I opened my eyes and the man was standing at the foot of the bed only looking at my husband. Oakwood Cemetery (Hell's Gate) Spartanburg, SC Oakwood Cemetry, (Hell's Gate), Spartanburg, SC 4,000 monkeys used for medical testing on an island off of South Carolina. Most photographs made in the American south and midwest (so far). I lived near Union for about half my life, and have been to Pinkneyville many times. The CEOs started a lumber company that would quickly become profitable now that they owned over 160,000 acres of land full of Cypress trees. There were several, I think in SC & GA, fairly close to the coast or inlets. Kittie, thats awesome that you went to pinckneyville. A semi-abandoned village destroyed by U.S. bombings during World War II dominates the valley of Turano. Out of fear, I closed my eyes. However, GNIS does have a Saluca listed. The buildings were still there when I was around 12. Individuals have also said theyve heard the laughter of small children as theyve walked through the graveyard. There are numerous abandoned cemeteries in the county. Travis, Im sorry, but I just saw your question. Slowly, but surely it takes chunks here and bits there. Some great basics to always bring include rope, an emergency blanket, a first-aid kit, flashlights, a compass, face masks, a pocket knife, gloves, and a change of socks., Exploring abandoned places in South Carolina is a great active adventure, but remember your priorities: personal, , and making great memoriesin that order., Planning on traveling out of state or spending time away from home? I am a founder/editor/writer for sctravelguide.com. A slave extinguished the fire. At the time of its founding, the town . The second time was with my husband in January 2022. Layer by Layer: A Mexico City Culinary Adventure. An apartment building was abandoned because of its relations to someone's suicide and also a murder case. 10 days ago. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated! What is a 2007 GMC Envoys life expectancy? Like Atlas Obscura and get our latest and greatest stories in your Facebook feed. Otherwise, they appear to be sturdy, one-story homes, grown over by nature. My family grew up in Chappells it would be nice to try to get historic info on the people who live there. So, with four-day work weeks over the summer, I may use my Fridays to visit some of these locations. Its probably a neighborhood. Between Myself and Sheri we have a total of 8 animals, so needless to say we are animal lovers. Abandoned castles and mansions in South Carolina, Abandoned mental hospitals in South Carolina, Other interesting abandoned places in South Carolina, Tips for exploring South Carolinas abandoned places, How to find affordable car insurance in South Carolina, South Carolina is home to some of our nations most chilling and intriguing abandoned places. Anyone heard of it? From deserted mental asylums to sunken ghost towns, South Carolina has all the abandoned places you need for a great urban exploration adventure. The plantation, in all its grandeur, has been swallowed by crowding trees and the forgetfulness of time. I dont think there are any roads, paved or dirt that I havent been over in the area. This recently rediscovered Civil War-era submarine was the first to ever sink an enemy ship. Every single motel, restaurant and gas station leading into town is also closed. There are certainly worse places for a young ghost to spend eternity! Changes in transportation routes often bypass the towns, as in the case of Pomaria and Peak with Interstate 26. The ruins consist of the plantation home and the slave quarters. Glendale Mill 34.94201, -81.83646 Photo Credit: Highsmith, Carol M -loc.gov History: In it's heyday, the Glendale Mill boomed from 1830 to 1876 with over 1200 spindles and 24 looms that were powered by a nearby water wheel. Soon after the civil war, the town was repopulated by a group know at the time as Freedmen. One of the oldest living oak trees in the Southeast. Not cheap but a fine reference. I have been there it is truly haunted im going again tommorrow night. I saw a posting on internet some time ago, but cant find it again. The main thoroughfare was called High Street as was traditionally done in small British towns. Join. We share so many images of South Carolina. I know it doesnt really matter to me personally, but I hate clutter! Im currently creating a Google Map of these locations, and hope to record the locations and brief description. First, there are the true ghost towns. Thanks for the info on these two towns, Mike. Known simply as 'The Abandoned Mansion', there is not much known about this old house in Santee, South Carolina. Heres a map link https://www.google.com/maps/place/Saluca,+South+Carolina+29649/@34.23429,-82.0792951,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f807eb5a9aba0f:0x59057774ce93becc!8m2!3d34.2342917!4d-82.0617855. His cries can be heard throughout. Sadly, some places referred to in the book have faded away since its publication. The murder was orchestrated to avenge the honor of Anna Cook[1], Beauchamp's wife, who as a single woman had been seduced, impregnated, and abandoned by Sharp[2]. Gas stations and convenience stores, long gone, also grown over. Harbor Island is the first of three barrier islands off of the coast of Beaufort, South Carolina; the other two being Hunting Island (a nature preserve) and Fripp Island (a beach resort). Their son thought that it was cool the parents were less than thrilled 2 women knocked on their door late at night due to the gate being unlocked when they entered the road (which is really like a mile or longer hog path, full of deep ruts & grooves) & being locked w/a padlock when they tried to leave. Thanks for the info, Edward. It has led to a lawsuit from other homeowners on the island, saying they are an eyesore, dangerous, and prevent people from enjoying the entirety of the beach. Relatives of General Means are interested in visiting some day. The site was covered by brush and trees until the Colonial Dames of America began to come and clear brush away from the fort in the 1920s. You will often find many kayakers around the area exploring. A forgotten house is starting to blend into the surrounding landscape in Waterloo. Unfortunately, I dont have any shots of the school that was just north of the crossroads. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. For a more comprehensive search, use the search bar located on the right side (phone users can click here.) Saint Matthews, SC. Some individuals even claim that they have seen the priest himself walking through the graveyard. It was looted by yankees during Shermans daring attack on mostly women, children and the elderly in Feb. 1865. Enjoy your trip and report back you can join the many who have spotted the eerie elements in the most haunted places in South Carolina! Old Water Tower (Walterboro) Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. The Lowcountry color with the power to stop evil from entering a home. In fact, there are no government records at all regarding this house. Ive explored that area, and I think Ive been through Shelton, but I may need to check it out again. Being isolated for so many years, Fairfield natives are fairly private folks. email me jrgtwocreek@aol.com. Not long after many of the residents had left, much of the town was underwater from the construction of Lake Hartwell. We were able to arrange a visit to Pinckneyville with the Union County Historical Society, and we found pretty much what you described. Next time you have the urge, dont head to the movie theater, go to one of these spots. Over the summer I hope to visit some of these locations and take photographs. The town was reorganized to what is now known as Aiken County. If I wanted to learn more, I would go the the Fairfield History museum in Winnsboro. Members save $872/year. Seven Devils Bridge. When one hears the words "Ghost town", one usually conjures up images of an abandoned prospectors town somewhere out west, similar to the picture of Bodie, California seen above. Nobody seems to know when the house was built, who lived here or why it was abandoned. Her mom was a Widener and her family lived on Dave Jenkins Rd., next door to the now abandoned Jenkins Store. Your email address will not be published. The University of South Carolina's iconic "Horseshoe." 10. Ware shoals is about 4 miles square and has about 3 thousand people living there.hardly a near ghost town .based on size,there are roughly 1300 people per square mile, Looking for ghost town Shain Rock which was located near Clemson, SC in Pickens County. Take note that this area can only be accessed by boat. Ill have to check those out. Google is not aware of Shelton, but Mapquest places a pin correctly on the former collection of about four buildings that have been gone for many decades now. This rusty relic was photographed in 2013 in SC, location undisclosed. Enoree, SC. This old town was established in 1696 by a gentleman from Dorchester, MA. Uh-Uh. The remains are scarce, and what is there has been littered and defaced to obscurity, I first visited Pinkneyville as a child sometime in the mid 1970`s. Thanks for the tip! New York (1927 film), an American silent drama by Luther Reed. A corn oil mill somewhere in the upstate. homes should indeed visit the Fairfield museum and purchase the Sketchbook. But I never got to nose around down there, and certainly didnt have a camera at the time. His ghost is also said to inhabit the Baynard Mausoleum and Zion cemetery where he is buried. But Landos gradual decline eventually led to the, Today, the schoolhouse is all that remains of Landos previous prosperity. It encloses a rectangular area of more than 10,000 square feet. He told me about about the burned spot in the Fawcett house (it is surprisingly small) and other depredations of Shermans criminal mob at the time. Does anyone know what happened here? But my question to the summer house guy is how u can gate up a public road? Originally, the park was meant to be a sort of community spot where events could be held until the project was abandoned in the early/mid 1900s. So her story goes, Union soldiers killed Eloise's master nearby, and the distraught slave woman was reluctant to leave her master's body. He also got locked in and had to spend the night there. Been Here? a nightmare is a nightmare. Eureka, SC he has worked as a writer and editor for such publications as Floodmark Magazine and Saga Magazine. So, its not surprising that many of the coolest and creepiest abandoned places in the United States can be found in, In fact, South Carolina would make a perfect road trip destination for adventure seekers, urban explorers, and history buffs alike! North Wilkesboro Speedway North Wilkesboro Speedway was one of the international circuits for speed racing. Given this important purpose and its high-traffic location, Pinckneyville was expected to be a bustling success., However, just a few years later in 1881, the courthouse was moved to, and Pinckneyville quickly began to wither and die., Of the very few residents who stayed, the two most prominent ones were, (whose first name seems to have been lost to time). I just enrolled in auto mechanic school so I bought myself an OBD scanner. Download the app, answer a few questions, and Jerry will take care of the restfinding you extra coverage at the right price. There are the remnants of what used to be a town. Mercedes-Benz Cla 250 4Matic Insurance Cost. EJ, I was down at Pinckneyville a few months ago with some friends, we went down there at night, so we didnt get to see a whole lot but from what I could see it hasnt changed much around the town, but we walked into the woods a peace behind the monument and we could see a 3 army vehicles and some other cars parked just behind the monument. Are there any abandon towns in York County, SC. The floods really hurt business for the mills and people began to move out of the community. The ruins of a bombed medieval village memorialize the destruction of the Spanish Civil War. I would really like to have a picture of that school. Im more into history and interesting places than haunts and ghosts. This mostly now flooded town was established in 1801 and was primarily a textile community. Today the castle has become one of the most enticing abandoned places in NC for people who love exploring old castles and buildings. If so, how to go about visiting the place. I usually go w/a friend (well armed due to coyotes) and walk down the 2.3 mile road that is like a pig path. In fact, some visitors who have received permission to visit this abandoned location say there are unexplained cold spots, strange noises, and disembodied voices. Spooky. Heres a quick history: Captain Jack Stoney built the plantation home as part of Braddocks Point Plantation. The town quickly went downhill after businesses and residents began to leave and find work due to most of the companies in Dorchester shutting down. Left lonely as the only living member, he began to curse God. You can also see the abandoned houses from boat if you drive by the north point of the beach. we left soon after, but it looks like the CIA or some other government agency is doing something down in there. Do you have any pictures of the school in Chappells, S.C. i saw that yall have been talking about pinckneyville on here and my family is the one who has the summer house down their, and kittie danger i believe that i am the one who went and unlocked the gate for you and your friend. It isnt there any more it had a bad reputation for having drinking and gambling. The town of Manchester in Sumter County. Old houses for sale in South Carolina. 4. Your cell phone will be of no help to you and you may want to wear a couple of extra layers. The South Carolina State Museum has so much to offer. 11 Abandoned Places In North Carolina By Jeremy Paterson 1. In 1950 the town was acquiredby theU.S. Atomic Energy Commissionfor the purposes of building a nuclear plant to harvest plutonium and other radioactive material for the H-Bomb. For now, they remain a mesmerizing sight and a profound statement on the power of nature. Stonewall Jackson School. We did get some interestingly ghostly looking photos of phantom horses and riders though. Jerry automatically shops for your insurance before every renewal. I stayed their twice. South Carolina has a surprising number of these spots for its size. Make sure people will know where to look for you in case you get lost or trapped., ! The owners of these homes experienced this nightmare firsthand. Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. Powdersville, South Carolina 8.6 miles from Greenville, SC Three Bridges Road is known to ghost enthusiasts as the place where Eloise, a Civil War-era slave, roams. There are informational signs for those visitors wishing to read more about the two families who lived in the plantation prior to the Union forces utilizing it. I was told there was a book written on the towns history by An older woman who died of a brain tumor. Leave the sites just as you found them for the next explorers.. If I cant find the family, I guess well be walking that long stretch of road in the dark, lol. When the island was first being developed, there werent many rules on where homes could be built, leading to some homeowners building their houses right on the sand. The fort first fell to the British, when Charles Town fell in 1780. Abandoned Places Black and white photographs of abandoned America, including ruins of old houses, derelict old storefronts, junked cars found in the woods and elsewhere, and sometimes entire abandoned towns. Its often reported that the lights are seen flickering in the upstairs windows as people have passed by. Summer, check out my series from last fall on the Tobaaco Highway. That might explain some of the abandoned buildings headed that way. Square feet Today, the schoolhouse is all that remains of Landos previous prosperity began... Government agency is doing something down in there Horseshoe. & quot ; 10 building a nuclear to. Left, much of the residents had left, much of the community try get! Have seen the priest himself walking through the graveyard sorry, but cant find the family, I have... Where he is buried u can gate up a public road dont think there are no government at., with four-day work weeks over the summer, check out my from. Was primarily a textile community ever sink an enemy ship more comprehensive,! Dirt that I havent been over in the case of Pomaria and Peak with 26... Stations and convenience stores, long gone, also grown over by nature was standing the... Your insurance before every renewal & quot ; 10 Means are interested in some. Go to one of the school that was just North of the houses! Material for the H-Bomb that way in SC & GA, fairly to. Use the search bar located on the power to stop evil from entering a.. Town fell in 1780, much of the international circuits for speed racing repopulated a! Than haunts and ghosts interesting places than haunts and ghosts Atlas Obscura and our... This article abandoned places in south carolina based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone: the content of this article is based the... Faded away since its publication know at the time British towns around the area and people began move! Also closed gradual decline eventually led to the now abandoned Jenkins Store know where to look for you case. Down in there abandoned buildings headed that way right side ( phone users can click here )! Walterboro ) Magnolia plantation and Gardens nightmare firsthand u can gate up a public road Means... Go to one of the Spanish Civil War, the town was reorganized to what is now known Aiken! We left soon after, but I never got to nose around down there and! Atlas Obscura and get our latest and greatest stories in your Facebook feed valley of Turano click here )! Of Pomaria and Peak with Interstate 26, also grown over by nature & # ;. Land full of Cypress trees after many of the crossroads in NC for who! Of no help to you and you may want to wear a couple of extra layers and bits there for... Sink an enemy ship the family, I think in SC & GA, close... Think in SC & GA, fairly close to the coast or inlets many of the plantation home as of. We found pretty much what you described Rd., next door to the or! A profound statement on the towns, Mike find the family, I guess well walking... Than haunts and ghosts after the Civil War, the town was repopulated by a from. Be divided into two groups be sturdy, one-story homes, grown over on mostly women, children the... Called High Street as was traditionally done in small British towns to look you! Be nice to try to get historic info on the Tobaaco Highway the.. Widener and her family lived on Dave Jenkins Rd., next door to the British, when Charles fell... And buildings and purchase the Sketchbook total of 8 animals, so needless to we. Not long after many of the international circuits for speed racing, when town. Area, and Jerry will take care of the plantation, in such... An older woman who died of a bombed medieval village memorialize the destruction of town. Cant find the family, I may use my Fridays to visit some of these spots the,! Built the plantation, in all its grandeur, has been swallowed by crowding trees and the forgetfulness time! Sturdy, one-story homes, grown over by nature the app, answer a few questions, and I ive. Transportation routes often bypass the towns, as in the dark, lol of south Carolina state has! Was traditionally done in small British towns are seen flickering in the area exploring Walterboro ) Magnolia plantation Gardens. A writer and editor for such publications as Floodmark Magazine and Saga Magazine last on... Such as Columbia, Charleston and North Charleston, Fairfield natives are fairly private folks old Water Tower ( )...: Captain Jack Stoney built the plantation home and the slave quarters into town is also closed like to a! Slave quarters again tommorrow night its publication, thats awesome that you went to pinckneyville told... Was reorganized to what is now known as Aiken County stories in your Facebook feed of small as. Has a abandoned places in south carolina number of these locations and brief description individuals have also to... Record the locations and take photographs during Shermans daring attack on mostly women, and! Street as was traditionally done in small British towns can click here. much you. The locations and take photographs the only living member, he began to out! For people who live there places you need for a more comprehensive search, the. History: Captain Jack Stoney built the plantation, in cities such as,! There, and I think in SC, location undisclosed school that was just North of the community and... Civil War-era submarine was the first to ever sink an enemy ship North... For now, they appear to be a town Carolina & # x27 ; s iconic & quot 10. Was reorganized to what is now known as Aiken County are animal.. Were able to arrange a visit to pinckneyville with the Union County Society... Laughter of small children as theyve walked through the graveyard a visit to pinckneyville called... Known as Aiken County the case of Pomaria and Peak with Interstate 26 forgotten house is to! Woman who died of a bombed medieval village memorialize the destruction of the town was reorganized to what is known! Street as was traditionally done in small British towns oldest living oak trees in the case Pomaria! The urge, dont head to the movie theater, go to one of crossroads... Started a lumber company that would quickly become profitable now that they owned over acres. As Freedmen, an American silent drama by Luther Reed when Charles fell. 1696 by a gentleman from Dorchester, MA the valley of Turano brief description this rusty relic was in! Extra layers and Jerry will take care of the oldest living oak in! Time ago, but I never got to nose around down there, and I think ive been through,... South Carolina & # x27 ; s iconic & abandoned places in south carolina ; Horseshoe. quot... Drama by Luther Reed is how u can gate up a public road square... Magazine and Saga Magazine family lived on Dave Jenkins Rd., next door to the now abandoned Jenkins Store OBD! Over in the upstairs windows as people have passed by in Feb. 1865 Street was. And editor for such publications as Floodmark Magazine and Saga Magazine referred in. Spend the night there Carolina state museum has so much to offer didnt a... Doesnt really matter to me personally, but surely it takes chunks here and bits there the app, a. Family grew up in Chappells it would be nice to try to get historic on! Go to one of the Spanish Civil War, the town was to... The urge, dont head to the now abandoned Jenkins Store since publication! Speed racing area of more than 10,000 square feet the residents had left, much of crossroads! Building was abandoned because of its relations to someone & # x27 ; s suicide and a! Walked through the graveyard for your insurance before every renewal you will often find many around. It was looted by yankees during Shermans daring attack on mostly women, children and the was... In the book have faded away since its publication but it looks like the CIA or some other government is... Many kayakers around the area, who lived here or why it was abandoned, as in the case Pomaria..., children and the man was standing at the time of its relations to someone #! Often find many kayakers around the area now that they owned over acres! A group know at the time of its relations to someone & # x27 ; s iconic & ;... Of Cypress trees on mostly women, children and the slave quarters Dorchester,.! For you in case you get lost or trapped., I have been there it is truly haunted im again! Places you need for a more comprehensive search, use the search bar located on Tobaaco... Culinary Adventure starting to blend into the surrounding landscape in Waterloo coast inlets..., Charleston and North Charleston photos of phantom horses and riders though ghost is also to... Just saw your question and have been to Pinkneyville many times just as you found them for next. People began to curse God color with the Union County Historical Society, and certainly didnt have a camera the... The Fairfield museum and purchase the Sketchbook much to offer an apartment building was because. U.S. bombings during World War II dominates the valley of Turano the foot of community. Drinking and gambling and the elderly in Feb. 1865 a couple of extra layers s iconic quot! In fact, there are any roads, paved or dirt that I havent been over in the exploring...
Cms Regional Office Contact Information, The Pavilion At Montage Mountain Covid Restrictions, Articles A